Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Linux and Unix Linux and Unix
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Mother board change

(!)

Member with 153 posts.

Experience: Advanced
12-Oct-2003, 07:03 AM #1
Mother board change
Ok stats. I am running a P3 celeron 1.3ghz With 512mb sdram. Dual boot Suse 8.2 and Windows XP pro. My computer has been begging for an upgrade for a year now but do to time restrictions and $ been put on the back burner. well the time has come so I baught a p4 2.8 ghz 500mhz fsb. And also upgrading to 2 gig 400mhz ddr. So here is my question I Know that with the CPU change and Mobo change XP pro will move right along and just up date the reg. And system files for the hard ware change but My question is what will Suse 8.2 do I have looked every were for documentation on this and have fallen short. And you all have pulled me out of more jams then I wish to speak about. So If some one could give me there input on this it would be much apreciated. I would have to hate to have to reinstall Suse, And have to go threw all that stuff again.

Thanks
Senior Member with 1,961 posts.

12-Oct-2003, 08:28 AM #2
I think that SuSE will take the upgrade just as easily as XP Pro.
When the Linux kernel boots up there's usually a check for new hardware(Kudzu for RH and MDK,Yast2 for SuSE) where you can change the configuration to accept the new hardware.The ram and CPU would go without a hitch and (depending on the new motherboard) SuSEwould recognize the northbridge and southbridge chipsets and configure accordingly.
XP,on the other hand,would probably require a reactivation at best.I've heard XP will automatically take a motherboard upgrade,but have never tried it.
HTH
lynch
Member with 153 posts.

12-Oct-2003, 05:18 PM #3
Thanks I guess the best way to find out is to point and shoot. XP does ask for the Key Code again when installing new CPU and Mobo we do it all the time at work. Any way thanks alot
Senior Member with 1,961 posts.

13-Oct-2003, 03:54 AM #4
I use a lot of removable hard drive trays on my comps because I'm always checking out a new OS(even if I only install it for a day )
Once I accidently put a drive tray in a comp to install yet another OS not knowing(or remembering) that it was loaded with an install of Red Hat 7.3 from a different comp with totally different components.It started up and Kudzu started asking if I wanted to change this to that,etc.....until ,in 5 minutes I had RH reconfigured for this new comp.
It was pretty easy.
lynch
Member with 153 posts.

13-Oct-2003, 08:53 AM #5
Ok the update. I installed the new Mobo, CPU, And Ram!

Everything went with out a hitch only thing I had to do was like you said do some new configurations. Lan setting, Video, and Sound. And of course needed to plug in my Key code for XP. Everything is running smoothly. Thanks again.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!