Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Linux and Unix Linux and Unix
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Printer Problems

(!)

Junior Member with 21 posts.

28-Jan-2004, 10:29 PM #1
Printer Problems
I have red hat installed along with windows on my pc. My printer will not work while booted to linux. It recognizes the printer and the job goes to the queue, but the print manager says the printer is not connected. All printing works fine in Windows XP.
I am a new user to linux so if anyone can give me some help, Id appreciate it.

thanks,

Adam Turner
Senior Member with 590 posts.

28-Jan-2004, 10:31 PM #2
well what is your printer type firstly...
Senior Member with 590 posts.

28-Jan-2004, 10:31 PM #3
u probably need a linux driver for your printer

28-Jan-2004, 10:33 PM #4
Its an HP Deskjet 842c. Linux recognizes the current driver for it as the 'HP840' series.
Senior Member with 1,405 posts.

29-Jan-2004, 03:31 AM #5
A few more details might be helpful. How is the printer connected to the machine? Does anything happen on the printer when a job is submitted (flashing lights, etc.)? Does the job disappear from the queue or does it just sit there forever? If you are using a printcap-based spooler, have you run checkpc to verify the entry for the printer? For some good background information, check out the printing HOWTO at the Linux documentation project (www.tldp.org) and the RedHat system administration manual for your release (e.g., https://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/.../admin-primer/).

You might also have a look at www.linuxprinting.org -- probably the premier resource for Linux printing questions. You will need to know which spooler you are using (lpd, lprng, cups, etc.), some basic info about your printer connection (parallel port? USB? network?) and your system software (ghostscript version?).

Of course, we're here, too ().

Hope this helps.

29-Jan-2004, 07:41 AM #6
Sorry, Sorry, I forgot one thing last night. The printer is behind a switch to which I have it and a scanner hooked to. I have cycled the printer on and off to no effect. As earlier it recognizes the printer as the default and the job makes it to the queue but it just sits there and says ' printer disconnected will retry in 30 seconds'. Maybe this will give you some more info. Ill lookup some online docs today.

Thanks,

Adam Turner
Senior Member with 1,405 posts.

29-Jan-2004, 04:15 PM #7
I suspect the switch is causing your troubles. To test this theory, you could hook the printer directly to the computer, bypassing the switch. If you can print with this configuration, you've pretty much proven that the switch is the culprit (and that your spooler configuration is correct, etc.). If you are using a mechanical switch, some of these do not switch all pins, so it's possible that a signal that Linux is waiting for is not getting through. If your "switch" is really a print server, you might want to check the protocol being used to communicate with the printer. If it specifies both Ack and Busy, the printer may not be providing the Ack signal (many don't) and the protocol should be changed to specify only Busy.

Hope this helps.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!