Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Linux and Unix Linux and Unix
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

installing red hat 9 dual boot - can't boot from cdrom

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

29-Jan-2004, 01:18 AM #1
installing red hat linux 9 dual boot - can't boot from cdrom (installation)
I bought a new hard drive to make my Win XP Pro system a dual boot system. I have partitioned the drive and want to install red hat on my empty partition. I have downloaded the 3 iso files from the redhat site and have them on discs. I cannot boot from my cdrom, which is what's giving me the problems. I have also heard you can move one of the boot files to a floppy, however the file is 1.44 MB, which should theoretically work, however my floppys are only allocating me 1.38 MB. I am not super computer savvy, but know some. How can I install???

Last edited by fitzgema; 29-Jan-2004 at 01:52 AM..
Senior Member with 1,405 posts.

29-Jan-2004, 04:40 AM #2
You will need to copy the RedHat-provided floppy image to a floppy disk, using a utility such as dd or rawrite (this is roughly the equivalent of diskcopy in the DOS world). You can find instructions here: https://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/...EPS-MAKE-DISKS

Are you sure you can't boot from your CD-ROM? You may need to change the boot order in your BIOS setup screens -- definitely worth checking out if you haven't done so already.

Hope this helps.
Senior Member with 1,961 posts.

29-Jan-2004, 06:36 AM #3
I just installed the RH 9 Publisher's Edition for a dual-boot with XP for someone. I could'nt get the CD1 to boot; turns out they were mis-labeled. CD2 booted fine.
If you put the boot(CD1) CD in XP and browse to the dosutils folder and then open the rawritewin folder and run rawritewin.exe Choose A:\ as the destination and browse to the images folder and choose boot.img. Hit ok to make the installation floppy.
HTH
lynch
Junior Member with 3 posts.

31-Jan-2004, 04:01 PM #4
Thank you both for your help. My computer has 2 cd drives, but only the burner drive will read burnt discs. However, my computer will only boot from the first drive (as I know of). So that's why the installation via cdrom wouldn't work for me. Rawritewin allowed the creation of a boot floppy disc which allowed me to install. Thanks so much.

Now I am finding that in order for grub or lilo to run, the partition that it is on has to be at the beginning of my drive, not on the end. So wish me luck with repartitioning!
Senior Member with 1,405 posts.

03-Feb-2004, 05:21 AM #5
You're welcome -- and congrats on sorting things out and getting going. If you are installing Lilo/grub on the Linux root partition, you may indeed have a problem if that partition is located near the end of a large-capacity drive. However, if you install Lilo/grub in the master boot record (MBR) you may be able to avoid this problem -- but be aware that if you remove Lilo/grub, you will need to restore your XP boot record.

Hope this helps.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!