Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Linux and Unix Linux and Unix
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

I want to format my hard drive and start from scratch...

(!)

Member with 202 posts.

17-May-2008, 12:34 PM #1
I want to format my hard drive and start from scratch...
with all free programs.

Is that advisable?

I am trying to set up a second computer for my kids that is solely for websurfing, chat and emails. My brother gave me his old work computer which is an IBM Thinkpad dinosaur with 256 MB memory and WIndows NT on it.

It works fine right now for surfing and email but it cannot download many of the newer programs like Flash media, etc, because of the old Operating system.

I know NT is a big pig of a program and with only 256 MB and our needs it is certainly overkill.

Can I format that machine and start from scratch with all free programs?

If yes:

What programs will I need to get basic security and basic internet functionality?
minoruhackerguy minoruhackerguy is offline minoruhackerguy has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 29 posts.

Experience: Whitehat/Very Advanced
19-May-2008, 04:40 AM #2
Alright, it's quite feasible. To wipe the hard drive, I'd download the Ultimate boot CD and use Derrik's Boot and Nuke to wipe the hard drive. *There are 3 other tools if you don't like DB&N*

After that, I'd use one of the partition tools on UBCD to repartition the Hard Drive OR use the partitioning tools on whatever OS you're going to install. (I'd go with Puppy 1.5 CE linux or Damn Small Linux.)
Member with 3,748 posts.

Experience: A Linux user gone nuts on multi-boot
19-May-2008, 07:22 AM #3
The partition in a hard disk can be removed by the normal means available in an operating system.

The My computer/Magae/storage/disk management of any Win2k, XP or Vista can do that job.

Any Linux has at least one or a combination of fdisk, cfdisk, sfdisk, gaparted, parted etc etc. Any of them can perform the same function rendering a hard disk to start from with zero partition.

The security of the partitions depends on the filing system chosen and the manner the operation is run..
Member with 202 posts.

20-May-2008, 10:18 AM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by saikee View Post

The My computer/Magae/storage/disk management of any Win2k, XP or Vista can do that job.
I don't understand the above. When I open "My computer" there is no link to Magae.

I do not find it in the NT machine I am trying to wipe and I also looked in my personal Win2K just to see if I could find it and could not. I also used the 'find file" search function on both machines and no go.
Member with 3,748 posts.

Experience: A Linux user gone nuts on multi-boot
20-May-2008, 11:16 AM #5
Right click "My computer" (on icon, menu or in the desktop), then left doble click "Manage", then "storage" and finally "Disk Management"

Inside the program you can select any partition for deletion.

It is the same for every Win2k, Xp and Vista.

It is your God given right in every operating system to be able to delete, create and modify partitions.

You can do it with Dos too but it may not be able to properly display the partitions invented later.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!