Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Linux and Unix Linux and Unix
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Unable to boot into Ubuntu

(!)

Member with 218 posts.

08-Jun-2010, 05:31 AM #1
Unable to boot into Ubuntu
Hi

Sometime back I installed Ubuntu 10.04 thru WUBI on to one of the partitions of my HD (which is already installed with Win xp sp3).

Y'day when I tried to boot into Ubuntu the following message is displayed:

"
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll

Please re-install a copy of the above file.
"

1. I checked up under " C:\WINDOWS\system32 " the file with the name HAL.DLL is present.

2. My boot.ini file is as follws"

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
C:\wubildr.mbr = "Ubuntu"

what could be the reason for non starting of Ubuntu?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
08-Jun-2010, 06:59 AM #2
Can you still boot to Windows?

Do you see a copy of wubildr.mbr in your root directory? Has anything on the drive been moved or changed? Have you run any commands on the drive or changed partitions in any way?

Last edited by Elvandil; 08-Jun-2010 at 07:38 AM..
Member with 3,750 posts.

Experience: A Linux user gone nuts on multi-boot
08-Jun-2010, 07:36 AM #3
I did a search and this is the word from the horse's mouth.

Last edited by saikee; 08-Jun-2010 at 08:55 AM..
Member with 218 posts.

08-Jun-2010, 12:46 PM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvandil View Post
Can you still boot to Windows?

Do you see a copy of wubildr.mbr in your root directory? Has anything on the drive been moved or changed? Have you run any commands on the drive or changed partitions in any way?
Yes I am able to boot into win xp now also.

root directory means system32 directory ? I checked there I could not find any such file there. No nothing has been moved or changed and not run any commands to change partition.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,628 posts.

08-Jun-2010, 12:58 PM #5
In Windows "root directory" means directly on the C: drive (except in those rare cases where the system drive is something else).
Member with 218 posts.

08-Jun-2010, 01:15 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryNet View Post
In Windows "root directory" means directly on the C: drive (except in those rare cases where the system drive is something else).
In that case, I did not see any wubildr.mbr in root directory.

I just want to want to know that is it ok to have " noexecute=optin /fastdetect " wording in my boot.ini which I shown above ?
Computer Specs
Member with 74 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
08-Jun-2010, 01:29 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by g.ramesh View Post
2. My boot.ini file is as follws"

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
C:\wubildr.mbr = "Ubuntu"

what could be the reason for non starting of Ubuntu?
Is that a typo above? I see WINDOW S instead of WINDOWS.
Computer Specs

08-Jun-2010, 01:51 PM #8
Quote:
I just want to want to know that is it ok to have " noexecute=optin /fastdetect " wording in my boot.ini which I shown above ?
Yes, that in my boot.ini for Windows XP Pro.

Note the last line in yours. That, I assume, is why Elvandil asked about the wubildr.mbr file. If it's not there Ubuntu is not going to boot.
Member with 218 posts.

09-Jun-2010, 01:31 AM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryNet View Post
Yes, that in my boot.ini for Windows XP Pro.

Note the last line in yours. That, I assume, is why Elvandil asked about the wubildr.mbr file. If it's not there Ubuntu is not going to boot.
Hi Terrynet

is the wording noexecute ok in boot.ini file?

If wubildr.mbr is not present in root directory what is the solution?
Member with 3,750 posts.

09-Jun-2010, 03:54 AM #10
I hate distro trying to help by distorting a standard installation thus a user ending up knowing neither the standard method and the special method to rescure a Linux should anything help to it.

Don't use Wubi myself but the layout suggests the file "wubildr.mbr" is the first 512 bytes of the Ubuntu partition. See Task E4 of Just booting tips for the standard way making a NT version of Windows to boot a Linux. Vista and Win7 are no different in requiring the same thing but their boot loader is "bootmgr".

I suspect the Ubuntu CD may have a utility to copy the Ubuntu's MBR but the following is the what I regard as the "standard" method that works in every version of NT version of the MS Windows of Win2k and Xp that use NTLDR as the boot loader.

Officially MS Windows has never been engineered to read a Linux partition so in order to boot it the first 512 bytes (equivalent to the MBR) of the Linux partition is placed in the "C" drive so that its boot loader can fire it up. It is the MBR inside the "C" drive that actually boots the Ubuntu Linux. Therefore to get it follow the following steps:

(1) Boot up Ubuntu CD and use it as a Live CD. In fact any Linux Live CD will do but the commands here are wriiten for Ubuntu family distros.

(2) Check which partition has Windows and which one has Linux by command
Code:
sudo su
fdisk -l
The Windows partition must be bootable so it will be marked witha "*". A ntfs partition is Type 7 so these two together mean a bootable Windows system inside. It should be among the first one or two. Let' say it is device /dev/sda1. The first Linux partition should be Ubuntu. All Linux partitions must be type 83. If Ubuntu has been installed with several partition the bootable one /boot should always be in the first one. Lest say it is /dev/sda3.

(3) Make two mounting points in /mnt (of the boot up Live CD) to mount WIndows and Linux partitions and then mount them
Code:
mkdir /mnt/sda1
mkdir /mnt/sda3
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1
mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/sda3
(4) I have omitted preceeding the commands with "sudo" because in the first line "sudo su" I have already claimed the Super user position. Now verify the contents of the two partitions by
Code:
ls /mnt/sda1
ls /mnt/sda3
Linux see all hidden files inside a WIndows partition so Wubidr.mbr could still be there with the usual hidden files like boot.ini and NTLDR etc. Wubidr.mbr could be corrupted so it pays to redo it again.

The Ubuntu partition will have /boot, /home, /dev etc. The bootable one must have /boot.

(5) To copy the first 512 bytes of Ubuntu partition into Windows partition. This must be done by a sector to sector copying command dd available only in Linux or Unix.
Code:
dd if=/dev/sda3 of=/mnt/sda1/wubidr.mbr bs=512 count=1
The above copy "1" record of size specified by "bs" from an input file sda3, which is a device directly, to an output file /mnt/sda1/wubidr.mbr. Make ajustment if your Windows and Ubuntu are in different partitions. Steps (4) is only for verification and can be omitted if you know where are your WIndows and Ubuntu. Basically you only need to mount the WIndows partition to deliver wubidr.mbr there.

It pays to understand the concept which is the same for all MS Windows booting a Linux. Thus if you install several Linux you simply repeat the steps and set your own filenames like Linux1.mbr, Linux2.mbr etc and amend boot.ini accordingly.

In general no need to touch the boot.ini or anything in Windows once the set up has been done. All NTLDR needs is the file "wubidr.mbr" available inside the partition that holds boot.ini

Last edited by saikee; 09-Jun-2010 at 04:33 AM..
Computer Specs

09-Jun-2010, 10:02 AM #11
Quote:
is the wording noexecute ok in boot.ini file?
Yes. The boot.ini I checked is just like yours, except I don't have Wubi installed so don't have the last line of yours.

With Ubuntu installed using Wubi there is no separate partition for Linux. Looking from the "outside" all you see is a large file in the Windows partition; when you boot to Ubuntu this large file becomes the Linux partition and from within the booted Ubuntu it looks like a separate partition.

For this reason I don't have my usual extreme confidence that saikee's procedure will work. But it's certainly worth a try. If it doesn't work report back details of what happened and he may be able to amend the instructions.
Member with 3,750 posts.

09-Jun-2010, 02:46 PM #12
I don't use Wubi. If what you said the Ubuntu is just a guest system inside Windows in which case there should be no necessity to boot a guest system which must operate wholly inside a host system, as a virtual machines does.

I run a portable Ubuntu that is fired up inside a MS Windows.

The Step (2) I put in is to check if such a system exists. In which case there should be no partition type 83 visible and so it would be impossible to proceed to Step (3) if Ubuntu is just a file inside the MS Windows. I act on the entry on boot.ini as that is the normal way to get NTLDR to boot a Linux, by having its mbr inside the "C" drive.
Computer Specs

09-Jun-2010, 03:31 PM #13
Wubi does not make Ubuntu a guest system like when using VirtualBox or VMware or other virtual machines. Wubi installs as a Windows application, un-installs with Add/Remove programs, but you actually get a dual boot. So, we'll just have to see how well your procedure works with this special case.
Computer Specs
Member with 37 posts.

Experience: Beginner
09-Jun-2010, 07:55 PM #14
I'd totally re-partition and install Ubuntu all over again =P
Member with 218 posts.

10-Jun-2010, 09:49 PM #15
Hi thanks to all of you for your replies.

Now problem seems to be increased as I am not able to boot into win xp either. It is showing hal.dll is missing.

Then I tried the following.

1) when tried to use recovery console , it is showing C:\> after some time.
Then I issued the command expand h:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll.

2)Then it displayed " Access is denied ".

Then I tried to run chkdsk with /r option after 50% completion is showed "the system has unrecoverable errors"

At last I booted thru a live CD of Ubuntu 10.04 and checked for computer. It is displaying the three of my original partitions of my HD but none of them are being mounted and are showing the following message:

Error mounting: mount exited with exit code 13: ntfs_attr_pread_i: ntfs_pread failed: Input/output error
Failed to read NTFS $Bitmap: Input/output error
NTFS is either inconsistent, or there is a hardware fault, or it's a
SoftRAID/FakeRAID hardware. In the first case run chkdsk /f on Windows
then reboot into Windows twice. The usage of the /f parameter is very
important! If the device is a SoftRAID/FakeRAID then first activate
it and mount a different device under the /dev/mapper/ directory, (e.g.
/dev/mapper/nvidia_eahaabcc1). Please see the 'dmraid' documentation
for more details.

Please tell me whether my win xp has gone bust?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!