Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Linux and Unix Linux and Unix
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Best Linux for old Pentium II

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 57 posts.

05-Sep-2010, 11:59 PM #1
Best Linux for old Pentium II
I'm not sure which Linux operating system is best for an old Pentium II 266mhz computer I have which I want to restore. It has over 200mb or ram and currently it has Ubuntu 10 installed but I want it to run faster. Can someone please guide me to which linux distribution is best that I can use for this laptop that will allow it to run faster? Is puppy linux good? Something similar to ubuntu 10 would be great.
(Is there anything I can maybe do in Ubuntu 10.04 to make it run faster while I have it installed now?) Thanks.

Last edited by XP_tech; 06-Sep-2010 at 12:22 AM..
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 5,220 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
06-Sep-2010, 12:37 AM #2
Hi,
Useful review & comparisons here:

http://www.tuxradar.com/content/what...t-linux-distro

I like Crunchbang based on Ubuntu 9.04 - very light & fast.

http://crunchbanglinux.org/

You could also look at Peppermint - webcentric and uses Prism:

http://peppermintos.com/

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story...0-025-35-OS-RL

Hope these of interest?
Computer Specs
Member with 57 posts.

06-Sep-2010, 01:20 AM #3
okay thanks. Are there maybe any performance tweaks I can do to Ubuntu 10 so that it can run faster. It runs okay now and see a big improvement in speed especially when switching from XP, but I was wondering if there are a few things that could be done to boost performance. In terms of youtube video quality/speed, will any other linux distribution help with the speed of video playback or will they all be abit sluggish just as now because of the 266mh processor?
Computer Specs
Member with 57 posts.

06-Sep-2010, 03:08 PM #4
I installed xfce and now ubuntu 10 is much faster. The only issue I still have is with the audio...I have no sound but it sais in sound preferences "Dummy output". Anyway I can get audio to work too?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,413 posts.

06-Sep-2010, 07:26 PM #5
Member with 48 posts.

09-Sep-2010, 11:44 PM #6
I'm using Puppy Linux http://puppylinux.org/main/index.php on an ancient laptop and I love it. The WiFi was so easy to set up. I settled on this after Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, and EduBuntu all failed or performed poorly.

512 MB RAM 512, battery so old it holds a charge for 15 minutes, monitor has lines on it. But I got a free MP3 player I can use to surf the net too.
DaveBurnett   (Dave) DaveBurnett is online now DaveBurnett is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. DaveBurnett has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 9,857 posts.

Experience: Advanced
17-Sep-2010, 09:19 AM #7
I second Puppy. There is a "version" specifically designed for older machines as well.
Member with 48 posts.

17-Sep-2010, 12:40 PM #8
I like how the OS loads from CD to RAM, which means I can still use the CD reader to play movies. And it will save a file to the HD to preserve changes I've made to settings.
DaveBurnett   (Dave) DaveBurnett is online now DaveBurnett is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. DaveBurnett has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 9,857 posts.

Experience: Advanced
17-Sep-2010, 02:59 PM #9
It will save the changes to: CD/DVD if it wasn't closed, USB stick or disk, Hard disk, just about ANY writeable material( I haven't tried a printer yet )
The save to CD option is particularly useful because even if you use it in a different machine, it will re-detect hardware but remember all settings it possibly can (Language, installed programs etc).
Member with 48 posts.

20-Sep-2010, 03:59 PM #10
I tried Slax Live disk. Couldn't connect to wireless. Went back to Puppy Linux.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!