Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Linux and Unix Linux and Unix
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Please Help NEw to Ubuntu

(!)

Junior Member with 10 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
22-Feb-2011, 04:13 PM #1
Please Help NEw to Ubuntu
Hi my laptop (ASUS X70s) crashed 4 weeks ago and it refused to boot by using the vista disc, so i downloaded Ubuntu and changed my bios to boot from USB, now i have Ubuntu installed i think its 10.4? the problem is i only wanted to use this system so i could then install my vista disc once it was up and running but when ever i put the disc in it reads but does not boot it just gives me an icon on my desktop with folders on the disc, can anyone please help me cause this is driving me crazy, thank you

(also whenever i turn on my laptop i get like 6 options such as normal ubuntu, ubuntu recovery, and 2 vista settings, ive tryed on all and when i click on vist i just get a white backgroud with ERROR in red)
Member with 585 posts.

22-Feb-2011, 04:19 PM #2
Quote:
when ever i put the disc in it reads but does not boot it just gives me an icon on my desktop
(1) Put in the disk (2) Restart (Reboot) you computer - leaving the disk in. Have you changed the BIOS to boot from CD first?

22-Feb-2011, 04:20 PM #3
no i havnt but if this works im going to slap myself in the face lol

22-Feb-2011, 04:24 PM #4
nope didnt work it ran the disc and just went on to boot normally with the 6 options above the disc displayed the icon again on my desktop : (
Member with 585 posts.

22-Feb-2011, 04:57 PM #5
Check your Vista disk is clean. Check for scratches. Which version is it? You can legitimately download ISOs, if need be, from some places e.g. [link removed by mod]

Last edited by TerryNet; 22-Feb-2011 at 10:06 PM.. Reason: remove link to pirated Windows

22-Feb-2011, 08:29 PM #6
the disk does have a few scratchs, but every disc i put in does the same thing, when i tryed downloading bitcomet or near enough anything for that matter it wont let me it just comes up with errors unless its specificallyl linux related software, i had no problems gettin a very poor version of skype on linux version. but once i begin to download it wont let me run the application to install, thanks for your help by the way dude im lost lol

22-Feb-2011, 08:31 PM #7
unfortunitally the link you provided says vista is no longer avaible due to infringment? i tryoed iso hunt and had no luck there : (
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,413 posts.

22-Feb-2011, 10:05 PM #8
You can only legitimately download Vista if you purchase it.

What is your boot order? The optical drive has to be before the hard drive.

23-Feb-2011, 10:52 AM #9
dude like i said i have the vista disc, this is the whole point of my post to get it to run, ive changed my boot order to every possible outcome with no luck, the problems NOT the boot order as unbuntu is up an runnin, wen i put disc in try all it does it run, stop n give me an icon on my desk top to open files realted to the disc
Computer Specs

23-Feb-2011, 04:34 PM #10
It still sounds like you are trying to run the Vista installation DVD under Ubuntu. I won't repeat arochester's post # 2 but you may want to read it again. Hint: boot only occurs after you power on the machine or restart it.

23-Feb-2011, 06:33 PM #11
forgive me for sounding stressed last night, u are very correct i am running the vista disc through ubuntu when i start up my computer i get 6 options (ubuntu, ubuntu recovery, vista 1, vista 2) i can opperate on the ubuntu option simple task such as firefox etc, when i click on the 1st vista option i get a red ERROR messag eon a white back ground and it freezes, when i selected the 2nd vista option it says starting windows for the 1st time then after 5 minutes it just sends me to unbuntu

thanks for the advise so far guys

23-Feb-2011, 06:36 PM #12
like i said i have changed the boot order from bios by pressing f2 and selected every possible option, once i restarts an loads up teh disc runs (liek when it shows an icon in my desk top) then just send me to the page where i have the 6 options to choise from Ubuntu, ubuntu recovery etc

cheers
Computer Specs

23-Feb-2011, 06:55 PM #13
If you have the optical drive before the hard drive in the boot order and the Vista installation DVD in the optical drive when you power on the machine the computer should recognise that there is a bootable disk in the drive and try to boot it. Some computers pause for 5 seconds or so and tell you to press a key if you want to boot from CD/DVD. When you see the Grub choices it means for some reason the computer has not tried to boot from the DVD but has proceeded in the boot order to the hard drive.

Try to boot from the Vista DVD on another computer. Don't actually do anything with it, just see if it will boot.

23-Feb-2011, 07:35 PM #14
ok i put the disk in my xp conputer downstairs and the disk run, some good news however i tried settin my bios again to boot from cd and had a result for a while, the disc ran and ask me did i want to recover to one or two partitions or both i selected one, just has i did that i got a white backgroud with ERROR in red again and my comp frooze lol at least were moving forward lol
Computer Specs
Member with 94 posts.

01-Mar-2011, 08:47 PM #15
Hi,

Was your issue resolved?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
disc drive start up error, help !, ubuntu 10.04

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!