Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Linux and Unix Linux and Unix
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Tiberian Sun on Linux - split screen issue

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Beginner
10-May-2011, 11:41 AM #1
Unhappy Tiberian Sun on Linux - split screen issue
I've recently downloaded C&C: Tiberian Sun, as EA have released it as a free download, to promote their newer / upcoming game. I'm on Ubuntu, which is always an issue, but I can get games to run using Wine, by clicking on the .exe files and fiddling with them until they run. I also have Stronghold, Giants, and Starcraft. However, all are completely un-playable, because whenever I run them, the screen seems to split, about 30:70, with the 30 being the top part, which shows my desktop. The 70 shows the game, and can be used, but it doesn't show right to the bottom of the game screen. Also, in order to click anything within the game, I have to place my cursor about 2 inches above the button on the game in order to be able to click on it. I can't find any way to window the games, and any of the settings that I can get to don't change anything. I've tried changing the screen resolution, but all that does is make my computer freeze on the game screen, unable to click anything in the game, and unable to exit the game. I'm VERY new to gaming, and I don't use computers often for things other than college work. Any help, please?
Couriant   (James) Couriant is offline Couriant is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Trusted Advisor with 30,893 posts.

10-May-2011, 06:26 PM #2
Where did you download that from? I cant find my disc anymore and I wanted to start playing the old C&C games again.

As to the issue, I don't use ubunto or can confirm Wine for being a good program to use just due to possible video card driver/issues.
Computer Specs

13-May-2011, 09:23 AM #3
Well, it explains it here http://www.geek.com/articles/games/c...load-20100215/ And I then just googled 'Tiberian Sun free download', an looked for legal ones... :P

I'm using Wine, currently, it's the only way I can get the game to even open in the first place, but Because I can't see the bottom half of the screen, I can't do anything useful on the game, which is quite annoying...
Couriant   (James) Couriant is offline Couriant is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.

13-May-2011, 06:07 PM #4
Cool I would recommend getting this thread to the Linux support just in case. They should have more experience with Wine there as most of the people here seem to be windows users
Computer Specs

14-May-2011, 09:03 AM #5
Okies... How do I do that? :P I'm a musician, so I don't use computers other than Word whilst at college, so... Am a bit lost whne it comes to this kinda stuff :S Thanks for your help, though

14-May-2011, 03:43 PM #6
I did it for you but for future reference, you just simply hit report and then write the reason for reporting (this case moving thread).
Computer Specs

15-May-2011, 12:27 PM #7
Ah, ok... Thank you!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
linux, split screen, ubuntu

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!