Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Can't receive most ota channels on Toshiba HDTV

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
04-Jun-2011, 12:49 PM #1
Can't receive most ota channels on Toshiba HDTV
I have Toshiba model 46HM95 HDTV about 4 years old. I want to pick up over-the-air digital broadcast channels, particularly CBS, PBS, NBC, Fox, and ABC. The FCC website "http://transition.fcc.gov/mb/engineering/maps/" shows 11 strong signals for my street address in zip 29680 : 40.1, 29.1, 4.1, 16.1, 62.1, 7.1, 21.1, 38.1, 33.1, 13.1, and 49.1 . These channels include the four networks listed above that I want to receive plus CW, MYTV and several other IND or PBS. Eight are UHF and three are HI-V. I am receiving only two: UHF's: 40.1 and 62.1. I first used the antenna that I bought when I bought my TV, an amplified RCA model ANT537. Thinking the antenna might be the problem, I went to BestBuy & picked up a rabbit ears, RCA model ANT111. The box says: "Receives free local HDTV,VHF,UHF, FM signals" These two antennas were attached to ANT 1 socket on rear of my Toshiba. I re scanned channels for both antennas and I basically got the same results: 40.1 and 62.1. I read good reviews for the MOHU Leaf antenna, so I ordered that. I checked to make sure I had the tv set to ANT1 input and I rescanned after installing it the Leaf. Same results as with other 2 antennas. I swithed coax input to the ANT2 socket on back of set, reset tv to ANT2 input and re scanned for channels. Same results, same two channels.

In Googling the problem, I read a couple of other Toshiba HDTV owners having similar problem, but the forums never came up with a solution that I could find.

Does anyone have an Idea of what to try next?
Account Disabled with 6,319 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
04-Jun-2011, 01:17 PM #2
If your TV is both ATSC and QAM capable,you might want to
check the settings menu and make sure it is set to ATSC
for over the air broadcasts.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!