Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Multimedia Multimedia
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Unable to play CD/DVD from D Drive

(!)

Junior Member with 11 posts.

21-Jun-2011, 12:56 AM #1
Unable to play CD/DVD from D Drive
Hello, I recently discovered that when I put a CD or DVD into my D Drive and attempt to play it, I am unable to. When clicking on the D drive icon with the CD/DVD inside I get this message, "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program, or if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel." This makes no sense to me as I am able to play music and movies that are saved to my computer's hard drive, so there are programs that are able to open the required file extensions. Also, if I right-click on the d drive and select "open," and then click the media I want to play, I am able to play said files. I'd greatly appreciate any help on this topic, thank you.

Last edited by saturn36; 21-Jun-2011 at 01:30 AM..
Account Disabled with 6,319 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
21-Jun-2011, 01:59 AM #2
You can set default programs at start/default programs.
Just select the program and click set as default.
For instance,select media player and click set as default.
Then click set defaults for this program.
Usually all are checked,just click ok.

21-Jun-2011, 02:48 AM #3
I've tried doing that and it does not work. I'm still not able to play the media just by double clicking on the d drive when the CD/DVD is in the drive. The same error occurs when I do that, but if I right-click and select "open" then find the actual file it plays fine. I still don't understand why it's not playing when I click on the d drive icon though.
Member with 3,873 posts.

Experience: Advanced
21-Jun-2011, 08:21 PM #4

21-Jun-2011, 11:57 PM #5
I'm not talking about using Autoplay, I purposely turn Autoplay off because it is annoying. My issue is that when I go to start then computer and try to play media by double clicking the d drive icon it will not work. I have to right-click and then choose open in order to play the media. How can I fix it so I can just click the d drive icon like I have in the past?
Member with 3,873 posts.

Experience: Advanced
22-Jun-2011, 08:18 PM #6
I understand, but one can affect the other.

Also take a look here> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

25-Jun-2011, 05:59 AM #7
Thank you very much! I actually went to http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...s-restore.html since they had the default file type associations for Windows 7 which my computer runs on. I used the registry file for Audio CD protocol associations and now Audio CDs work normally when I put them in. However, I could not find a default file type association that would fix the movies not playing normally off of DVDs.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!