Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Multimedia Multimedia
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Videos play upside down!

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 1,361 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
17-Jul-2011, 12:53 AM #1
Videos play upside down!
I have Windows 7.

I've been plagued with this problem before and now it's back. Videos I have on my hard drive will display upside down or sideways. This happens to videos I shot with my Panasonic ZS3 and also others. Note: this doesn't happen with all videos, just most. Taken with iphone 3gs, ZS 3, whatever. No idea what is going on.

I tried the following:

* opening them in quicktime or VLC or WMP; no difference. * Searched and searched and searched for a utility that will rotate a video. Finally found one that actually worked, but the quality is so badly degraded it wasn't worth doing.

* Windows Movie Maker no longer has this feature. The previous version didn't work for me.

How on Earth do I solve this? I've seen others with this same issue and usually someone will say it's a codec issue, but I have NO CLUE how to proceed with this.

PLEASE! Does anyone have a clue how to solve this? Please don't just give me links to the problem; I've read dozens. No help at all. It just leads me down blind alleys and I'm back to square one.

If anyone can just recommend a good utility or program that will rotate the video, maybe I'll just use that. Any help appreciated so much.
Member with 2,536 posts.

17-Jul-2011, 02:11 PM #2
Computer Specs
Member with 1,361 posts.

17-Jul-2011, 04:09 PM #3
Thanks, but "appearances and personalizations" doesn't not appear in control panel. I tried to research it but no one ever tells me how to access it; they just assume it's there on control panel. One person with the same problem was just asked if they had Windows 7 starter, which I don't.

I went through the dxdiag thing and it says everything's fine.
Member with 3,693 posts.

Experience: Advanced
17-Jul-2011, 09:11 PM #4
Upside down video is typically an indication of a codec problem. Do you know which types of files work, and which don't? If you have Divx installed, uninstall it, reboot and install (the latest version) again.
Member with 1,657 posts.

18-Jul-2011, 07:58 AM #5
Quote:
Note: this doesn't happen with all videos, just most
Since it wasn't mentioned, let me ask. Was the camera(phone) held in the horizontal position while filming? The sensor that records the video is fixed, it doesn't rotate.

With the Panasonic, if the camera was held vertically(portrait) while filming, the film will be 90 degrees off, when viewed on a computer.

With the Iphone, orientation metadata is recorded in the file, but most programs won't honor this. The video on the computer will be displayed horizontally. If the phone was held vertical, the video will be off 90 degrees. If it was held upside down, the video will be off 180 degrees.

I believe Quick Time Pro will adjust for orientation of Iphone videos.

moper
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!