Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Multimedia Multimedia
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Samsung BD-D5300 - how to play old DVDs?

(!)

Member with 89 posts.

Experience: Beginner
26-Aug-2011, 06:58 PM #1
Samsung BD-D5300 - how to play old DVDs?
Hi all,
I just bought a Samsung BD-D5300 Blue Ray / DVD player. It plays Commercial DVDs fine and it plays ONE of my home made DVDs (the most recent one) - all the older ones look like the vertical hold is wrong - the image is monochrome and has horizontal bars and sort of flickers. If I try to play the original .avi through the USB port it looks the same. All the home made DVDs were made with ConvertXtoDVD Portable and they played fine on my old DVD player. Can anyone diagnose the problem? and Is there a fix for this?
Thanks
T.
Edit: OK, maybe some progress on this... Samsung tell me that I dont have the right .AVI codecs. So I'm thinking to convert the original .AVI file to .MKV first, before I run it through ConvertXtoDVD. Thoughts? Good converters?
Thanks
T.

Last edited by tandanus; 26-Aug-2011 at 09:02 PM..
Member with 3,514 posts.

Experience: Advanced
26-Aug-2011, 10:10 PM #2
Sounds like the typical problem when playing PAL format DVD's in a NTSC DVD player.
Member with 89 posts.

Experience: Beginner
26-Aug-2011, 10:47 PM #3
Hmmm,
How do I tell if my DVD is PAL format?
Thanks
T.
Member with 1,639 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
02-Sep-2011, 09:30 PM #4
dvd region can be changed in /device manager right click on rom drive /properties/dvd region but be careful region can only be changed a few times
Member with 3,514 posts.

Experience: Advanced
08-Sep-2011, 10:12 PM #5
Are the "old DVD's" commercial discs, or old home videos on DVD? After re-reading the original post, it sounds like you are saying old home videos on DVD. In which case, they are likely on media (ie: DVD brand/type) that is not supported by that player.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!