Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Multimedia Multimedia
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Windows Media Player won't turn off subtitles??

(!)

Member with 917 posts.

17-Sep-2011, 06:31 AM #1
Windows Media Player won't turn off subtitles??
hey guys, i've got a movie i just tried watching and there are subtitles on it. i have subtitles turned off in WMP on win7 and i have right clicked and selected 'turn off subtitles' but they won't turn off. i tried it in VLC and it worked fine without subs. anyone know why this happens?
Member with 2,536 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
17-Sep-2011, 12:43 PM #2
When WMP is palying a movie, take a look at the notifications area of the taskbar.
If you see an icon there related to the movie, right-click it and select "Disable subtitles"
Member with 917 posts.

17-Sep-2011, 08:18 PM #3
where is the taskbar? how do i do that?
Member with 3,514 posts.

Experience: Advanced
17-Sep-2011, 10:50 PM #4
The options you disabled in WMP only affect external subtitle files. This would apply to DVD playback, or files with an external subtitle file.

For example: actionmovie.avi and actionmovie.srt (srt/sub/idx - are subtitle files)

If you are playing a single file (ie: actionmovie.avi) and there is no subtitle fiile, then the subtitles are hardcoded. In other words, they are part of the video. They cannot be disabled.
Ent   (Josiah) Ent is offline Ent is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 5,217 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
18-Sep-2011, 03:04 AM #5
If they were hard coded into the DVD, then playing in VLC would also show the subtitles.
I think the issue to which Pip22 refers is that an external codec, such as ffdshow, may be interpreting the subtitles, and sending them with the video to Media Player. Since Media player doesn't control the codec, it can't turn them off. However the codec program may have its own option for controlling subtitles.

This program can often be found in the task bar as Pip22 says. That means the set of icons in the bottom right of your screen, near to the clock.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!