Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Multimedia Multimedia
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Music CD's I burn won't play in my CD Player

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 73 posts.

Experience: 25 years on PC's
01-Dec-2011, 09:10 AM #1
Solved: Music CD's I burn won't play in my CD Player
I've been burning CD's for some years, so I expect that from time to time a CD won't play in one CD player, but is fine in another.

My own discs have always played in the CD-player in my car, though - until recently. Not any more.

I used to use Roxio Easy Media Creator 9, but switched to CDBurnerXP to see if that would make any difference. It didn't, though I love the software.

I also checked for updates, and found I could update the firmware for my Toshiba CD/DVD drives. But the updates didn't make any difference.

Can anyone suggest where I might look next for a solution to the problem?

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon processor, x86 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 6
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3068 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT, 256 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 305234 MB, Free - 90590 MB; D: Total - 715394 MB, Free - 449903 MB;
Motherboard: Intel Corporation, DG43GT
Antivirus: Norton 360 Premier Edition, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 47,112 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
01-Dec-2011, 11:14 AM #2
Have you tried playing a previously burned CD that you know worked in the car player at one time?

Does a recently burned CD work in another player and/or play OK on the computer?
Computer Specs
Member with 73 posts.

01-Dec-2011, 11:33 AM #3
Should have said that previously burnt CD's still play perfectly, so it isn't the CD player that has changed.

The recent CD's play on my computer and on my wife's laptop, and I have played a recently burnt DVD on my home DVD player.
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs

01-Dec-2011, 12:51 PM #4
Are you using a different brand or a new package of the same brand of blank discs? Some players seem to be sensitive to the media used to create the disc.

Would it be possible to create a music CD on your wife's laptop using a blank disc from the same package as the ones having problems on your computer? If it works in the car, we could eliminate the blank discs as possibly being the source of the problem.
Computer Specs
Member with 73 posts.

02-Dec-2011, 09:37 AM #5
The discs are from the same batch that worked OK.

I burnt a disc on my wife's laptop - a good suggestion, that - and it works fine in the car.

So it isn't the discs. I burnt the good CD with the WMP installation on her machine - not sure what that tells us!

The search continues!
Computer Specs
Member with 73 posts.

02-Dec-2011, 10:30 AM #6
Just checked a couple more things. I have two identical Toshiba optical drives on my PC. I've burnt discs on both, and the problem is the same with both drives; both have the latest firmware update installed (the problem predates that installation).
This says to me that it most unlikely to be a hardware problem, since both drives would have to be affected in the same way at much the same time.

Hmm.
Computer Specs
Member with 73 posts.

07-Dec-2011, 07:54 AM #7
Well now that was fun - but I think I have solved the problem, and it was actually very simple.

I cleaned the lenses on the optical drives!

The computer lives in a room where a wood-burning stove operates all winter, and of course they proiduce very fine dust. The computer is switched on most days, and turned off at night - so it cools and will tend to suck in dust.

My son - smart guy - suggested that cleaning might work, as he had heard of drives burning data discs OK but failing with Audio discs when the lens was dirty.

The first clean had no effect, so I ran the cleaning disc three more times and then burnt a disc which plays perfectly in the car CD player.

Mind you, I couldnt eject it, so I'm out there with a paper clip shortly!

Anyway problem solved, and one to remember, as it's an odd problem.
Computer Specs

07-Dec-2011, 11:33 AM #8
Good detective work. Glad to hear you got it figured out.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!