Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Multimedia Multimedia
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Slimtype DVD A DS8A5SH

(!)

Member with 5 posts.

12-Feb-2012, 10:07 AM #1
Exclamation Slimtype DVD A DS8A5SH
Hi,

I'm having an issue with the DVD driver and am need of some serious help. Basically, my DVD driver has an yellow error icon in device manager. When I click it, the device status is "Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source. (Code 52)". I know there is a quick fix of pressing F8 on boot and also know you can go to regedit and delete upper and lower filters. I have deleted them previously which caused an issue with my ITunes, resulting in me recreating upper filters and reinstalling ITunes. I have attempted to find an update for the driver but have been unsuccessful. I need a permanent fix which will not create issues with ITunes

I have a Packard Bell EasyNote TK running Windows 7 home premium 64 bit system. The sticker on my laptop states I have a DVD-Super Multi DL Drive, and on Device Manager I have Slimtype DVD A DS8A5SH.

I appreciate any advice, support and help given on this topic.
Member with 2,536 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
12-Feb-2012, 02:21 PM #2
The "upper and lower filters" fix in the Registry has nothing to do with your specific issue.

The driver for most optical drives is built in to Windows itself and is digitally signed by Microsoft, so it seems something has replaced or overwritten that driver, causing the error message. There is no need to download or update the Microsoft driver that's built in to Windows, indeed there is nowhere to download one from since the optical drive manufacturer's no longer supply them (they are not required any more).

What you can try is "uninstall" that device in Device Manager (right-click > Uninstall), then restart Windows.
Windows will detect the optical drive again as new hardware, and hopefully will install the correct Microsoft driver.
Member with 5 posts.

12-Feb-2012, 03:04 PM #3
Thank you for your quick response.

I received the filters advice from Microsoft? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

I attempted your method and it didn't work

Are there any other suggestions? What is the method to make it work temporarily (I believe you press F8 on boot, although I am unsure)

Thanks
Member with 3,704 posts.

Experience: Advanced
14-Feb-2012, 09:00 PM #4
If uninstalling and rebooting did not solve the problem, then I would suspect a hardware issue (ie: faulty drive, loose connection). It could also be an OS issue I suppose, but aside from a fresh install of the OS, I don't know of a fix.

As noted, Windows uses a standard generic driver for ALL CD/DVD drives. So there isn't a new driver.

As for the boot process you keep referring, I'm guessing you mean this: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...f-986174244f6b
Member with 5 posts.

22-Feb-2012, 03:12 PM #5
Thanks for the replies. I'm still having issues with the driver. When I delete UpperFilters from a specific file in Registry Editor and restart my computer, the driver no long has any issues. However, when I need to need iTunes, I have to recreate UpperFilters and restart the computer. It's a real hassle and I would really appreciate if anyone could provide a solution. My laptop is still under guarantee, but it cover the issues with the driver?
Member with 3,704 posts.

22-Feb-2012, 08:48 PM #6
You will likely need to remove the upper filters to get the drive functional. Uninstall iTunes, reboot, and reinstall iTunes. It will then hopefully properly create the upper filters.

While the upper filters are driver related, this isn't a driver issue. It's an application issue (ie: likely iTunes), as upper filters are created as needed by software.
Member with 5 posts.

23-Feb-2012, 04:14 PM #7
If I reinstall iTunes, will I lose my library?
Member with 3,704 posts.

23-Feb-2012, 09:19 PM #8
I believe so, yes. I don't know if there is a way to backup/restore an iTunes library or not as I don't use it.
Member with 5 posts.

27-Feb-2012, 12:38 PM #9
can anyone confirm this?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
code 52, driver, dvd, slimtype, update

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!