Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Multimedia Multimedia
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How do you identify the type of CD?

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 205 posts.

Experience: Advanced
27-Apr-2012, 08:50 AM #1
Question How do you identify the type of CD?
Hi everyone!

I was just wondering, is there a simple way of telling what type of CD you got? No, I don't mean the physical formats like CD-R vs. CD-RW. You know, there are so many ways of burning CD discs, I'm talking about the different writing modes. How do you tell if it is a "data" CD or a "video" CD (VCD) for instance?

Is there a software application perhaps that can identify the CD type?

Thanks!
Moderator with 63,365 posts.

27-Apr-2012, 09:10 AM #2
all cd's are pretty much the same......once data is burned on it, at that point in time it becomes a music disk, or a data disk, or a video disk.......but until then, they are just blanks.
Computer Specs
Member with 6,975 posts.

27-Apr-2012, 09:42 AM #3
Computer Specs
Member with 205 posts.

27-Apr-2012, 09:42 AM #4
I know that Windows Explorer changes the icon of the optical disk drive in the Computer view, depending on the type of data stored on the disc. If you put an Audio CD in it will say "audio cd" and the icon with the music note shows up. If you put a software CD in it will just show the icon of the setup program. (Also, if you put a DVD film in it will just say "DVD".)

But other than that, there is really no way telling what type of disc it is?...

I also notice that the file system for them all is "CDFS". So it's probably like you say they are all the same after burning. But still, you can't really "play" a data CD in a standalone player like a CD player or a DVD player. Unless of course it contains some audio or video files that the player can play, and also read from that (physical) type of disc (CD-R, RW, etc).

Does evry CD become a CD-ROM when you try to read it in a computer?...
Computer Specs
Member with 6,975 posts.

27-Apr-2012, 09:55 AM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fractalogic View Post
Does evry CD become a CD-ROM when you try to read it in a computer?...
Once you finalize a CD no more data can be written to it so then it becomes Read-Only.
Computer Specs
Member with 205 posts.

27-Apr-2012, 10:01 AM #6
For a data CD (RW) I burned years ago it says Data CD (mode 1). For a drivers CD to a HP printer it says also Data CD (mode 1). But here the disc status is said to be closed and finished, while for the disc I burned it said open (open session disc that is).

For a DVD film it said DVD-video. It even identified the type of copyprotection used, how many layers it is and what video format it is. So this is pretty cool.

Is this tool really for free? I know that it was previously included as part of the Nero suite, which is not free. This is pretty much what I was looking for - a way to show a little bit more detailed information on what type of disc I insert.
Computer Specs
Member with 6,975 posts.

27-Apr-2012, 10:11 AM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fractalogic View Post
Is this tool really for free?
Yes, it's always be free, you can still get it at the Nero website.

But since you have Vista I gave you a link to version 5 which is easier to use than the current version 11 because you don't have to install the program.
Computer Specs
Member with 205 posts.

27-Apr-2012, 10:24 AM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by stantley View Post
Once you finalize a CD no more data can be written to it so then it becomes Read-Only.
But they are not really CD-ROM per say, are they?...

For my trusty old Nec ND-3520AW it says that it can read DVD-ROM, but it cannot write DVD-ROM. There is a checkmark in the Read column for DVD-ROM but an X in the Burn column for DVD-ROM. Perhaps it is a mistake?...

In the CD section there is no mention of CD-ROM at all, not as a reading format nor a writing format. Maybe because a burned, closed and then fnilized CD-R is actually a CD-ROM?

How do the big production companies like game publishers create their "CD-ROM" discs? Or how does a company like HP press their drivers to CDs? What kind of discs are they using? What type of writing mode are they using? I'm just curious... I know they have machines for this kind of thing for high volume pressings, but it would be cool to know how they do it. Perhaps someone can get me a guided tour to HP manufacturing plant in Germany? I assume the drivers discs are produced on the same location.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you identify the type of CD?-neroinfotool5a.png   How do you identify the type of CD?-neroinfotool5b.png  

Last edited by Fractalogic; 27-Apr-2012 at 10:40 AM..
Computer Specs
Member with 205 posts.

27-Apr-2012, 10:49 AM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by stantley View Post
Yes, it's always be free, you can still get it at the Nero website.

But since you have Vista I gave you a link to version 5 which is easier to use than the current version 11 because you don't have to install the program.
I would actually like to have this easily accessible all the time so I would prefer to install it. I just downloaded and installed it fron Nero website.

http://www.nero.com/eng/downloads-free-tools.php

I notice that the installed version is quicker at identifying drives on start up, and it also allows you to view installed Windows software and updates which the standalone version does not.

Thanks!
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
27-Apr-2012, 11:45 AM #10
Besides the other information, the file system in use is important, too. Besides the 6 or so versions of UDF in use, there is ISO9660, Joliet, HFS, FAT (Yes, it is used on CD's), Vista's and 7's Live File System (largely UDF), Rock Ridge, CD-i, El Torito (really an addition to ISO), etc. Some disks have more than one, like video disks which are ISO/UDF hybrids. They all have advantages and disadvantages, and particular uses where they are strong.

It's a good idea to be aware of these possibilities. In practice, and at the risk of being a Luddite, I use ISO for most everything since it is an old one that can be read by all computers and drives. But UDF is useful, too, and I use it more often lately, often as a hybrid with ISO. Microsoft's disks are all UDF, with some having an ISO file system added for compatibility.

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
cd type, identify

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!