Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Multimedia Multimedia
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

2 desktops on the same monitor with different resolutions possible?

(!)

Member with 16 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
23-May-2012, 02:00 PM #1
2 desktops on the same monitor with different resolutions possible?
Hello everyone I have a question,

I have Win 7 64 bit and I'm currently using as a monitor a Tv that has VGA and HDMI ports
My graphics card is an Evga GeForce 450 GTS super clocked with two dvi and 1 miniHDMI ports.
I've always used a VGA cable with a DVi to VGA converter and today I also bought an HDMI cable.

My questions is this,

Can I have/set up two different desktops with different resolutions using the same tv?
What I want is to use an HDMI resolution, say 1920x1080 for movies and games, and use a lower resolution for work( I find it difficult to read text when using HDMI).
The tv has the option to switch between HDMI and VGA so practically I'd like to have something set up like this,
Desktop 1 with HDMI and Tv on HDMI then whenever I'd want I would switch to Desktop 2 with a res of 1440x900 and also switch the TV to VGA.

Is this possible?

PS. I have found a program that allows me to have multiple desktops, DeskSpace, but it would not keep the resolutions between desktops.
Member with 3,791 posts.

Experience: Advanced
23-May-2012, 07:56 PM #2
Software with multiple "desktops" all display on the same desktop. The desktops are virtual. You simply cycle through them, but they all display on the same screen/desktop/output. You can't link individual virtual desktops to different video outputs. Not that I've seen anyway.
Account Disabled with 5,251 posts.

24-May-2012, 06:53 AM #3
Seems like you should be able to do it with just the standard two (multiple) monitor software because I'm thinking of the situation where someone is using two identical monitors driven by the same graphics card...so why not be able to drive the same monitor from two outputs set at different resolutions?

Worth a shot anyway to see if you can set it up in the NVIDIA Control panel.
Member with 16 posts.

24-May-2012, 07:41 AM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairnooks View Post
Seems like you should be able to do it with just the standard two (multiple) monitor software because I'm thinking of the situation where someone is using two identical monitors driven by the same graphics card...so why not be able to drive the same monitor from two outputs set at different resolutions?

Worth a shot anyway to see if you can set it up in the NVIDIA Control panel.

Thanks for your feedback.

So far what I have managed to do,

The GPU detects two monitors (same monitor but using different outputs, DVI and HDMI which also allows different resolutions).
Using the extend option is like actually having two monitors side by side each with his own resolution.
The problem here is I'll only have the desktop (as in taskbar and icons) on the primary "monitor" while the second one will have nothing except the wallpaper.
So lets say i want to watch a movie or play a game, I have to drag the icon from the first screen to the second and start it there.

A second option would be using the "Show desktop on screen 1/ screen 2" (you can't have both selected), switching between screens when needed.
I am looking for a software that allows me to have two "complete" desktops( with different resolutions) on both outputs at the same time so that I don't have to change stuff in the GPU's control panel and just switch from HDMI to DVI from the tv.
Or have the computer send the same desktop with two resolutions each to his own output.
To simply put it something like "Show desktop on screen 1 AND screen 2 with the possibility to have different resolutions.

The more I write the more I'm beginning to think I'm asking for something impossible xD

Like you said it's like trying to connect the two monitors to the same video card. But it seems it's not possible to display two "complete" desktops on two monitors, you can either extend one to the other, or switch between them through the Nvidia control panel one monitor being off all the time
Account Disabled with 5,251 posts.

24-May-2012, 01:04 PM #5
I was experimenting with one of my setups a bit, one I have with Intel GPU control panel and I was able to extend the desktop and it recognized both connections (one as LCD TV and one as Digital LCD TV) and I could swap and set individual resolutions. However, I could not get a signal on the DVI to VGA connection because I have DVI-D out and it needs to be DVI-I to work with a VGA gender changer.
I'd have to find a monitor with a straight DVI-D connection to prove that it works but it certainly seemed like it was working as much as it could.
Member with 16 posts.

26-May-2012, 05:11 AM #6
Yeah but even if you found one with a DVI-D connection I think it would still be the same.

After some searching on the net I found that Deskpot is the closest software to my need since it creates virtual desktops but also allows to set up different resolutions, alas it does not recognize the two connections so I can't switch from HDMI to DVI I can just have multiple desktops with different resolutions but on only one connection, HDMI or DVI
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!