Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Multimedia Multimedia
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: SD Card formatting problem: how to nuke?

(!)

Member with 518 posts.

Experience: Advanced
17-Jun-2012, 06:36 PM #1
Solved: SD Card formatting problem: how to nuke?
friends I have a sandisk 8gb sd card that works fine for copying/writing/reading, and in the past worked fine as a boot device. since then, I believe my nemesis was a Linux program I used to makeboot a Mint distro. since that time, though I can reformat it [apparently] using win 7 disk management, the windows iso makeboot utility [ http://download.cnet.com/Windows-7-U...-10972600.html ] cannot put down any data on the drive. I'm assuming that even though I cannot see any data using the normal tools, there is something there at the boot zero position that is inhibiting it being formatted correctly. the utility manages discs just dandy

can someone point me to an answer? is a camera any better at nuking old/odd data than is a pc tool?
also, does it make a diff what sort of reader I use? in the past that has not seemed to be an issue, but I'm wondering.

thanks for your advice
z
Computer Specs
Member with 59 posts.

17-Jun-2012, 06:45 PM #2
yep, linux was the reason. see what you got is a "partitioned" flash card, something only linux can do, windows can only play with 1 partition on your card. formatting the "Data" section over and over will never affect the linux distro on there.
What you need to do is go, right click ma computer, "Manage" then click "Disk management" from the pane on left on the windows manager, find your victim.. err I mean card. and you should see the partitions. Right click kill, delete etc and then once its all RAW then your green to re-format to NTFS or FAT etc..
Luck.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
17-Jun-2012, 06:56 PM #3
HP USB Disk Format Tool
SD Format Tool (Formats all types of SD cards, including
the new SDXC cards with sizes up to 2 TB. The SDXC cards can be formatted in a standard reader, but you may need
the driver that is also available on that page.)
Member with 518 posts.

18-Jun-2012, 10:11 AM #4
is there some dark meaning to this: does not support the erase function? see image pls [this was from the SD Formatter]

also, just for fun I dl'd the >32GB driver, and got error saying "system not supported".... why do they hate AMD ..
this is a thinkpad x120e running x64 win7
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: SD Card formatting problem: how to nuke?-sdformatr.jpg  
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
18-Jun-2012, 05:12 PM #5
Does the card work now?

The card does not support that erase function.
Member with 518 posts.

19-Jun-2012, 10:12 AM #6
yep. that sd formatter tool seems to have done it. at least it lets the win7 tool do its thing. whether or not it boots is going to be a "it depends" answer based on which device i stick it in, the reader, the bios, the drivers.... you know that drill.
main issue is SOLVED.
thx
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
boot, sandisk, sd card

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!