Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Multimedia Multimedia
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Audio not working properly???

(!)

machv   (Neil) machv is offline machv has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 347 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
20-Jun-2012, 06:01 PM #1
Question Solved: Audio not working properly???
I have been having trouble with getting my audio to work properly. The problems are intermittent, reinstalling the latest drivers only works for a short time then they have to be reinstalled again it seems. The problem switches form the headphone jack not working but the internal speakers work. To odd static. Also sound does not always work the first time it is started and have to be restarted 1 to 2 times and if more then I restart the system. Also I can hear windows sounds OK like empty trash etc... but nothing through VLC.

The problems do not occur with Linux only Windows(7 ultimate 64bit, yeah right lol) also one of the headphone problems I get is a symptom that would suggest that the headphones are at fault, static and bouncing the volume to get the windows sound to activate for the volume change. The headphones work one second then don't for a bunch of clicks to the bar then do work. As if you were wiggling your cords (I know it's not the headphones I have tested them on another machine + an MP3 player they are fine) And without any movement from myself on the cord still do the same thing.

Also to get a flash movie to have sound (YouTube) I have to click up and down the time bar a bunch of times to get sound too. I have installed, reinstalled flash, sound, and deleted all program history tracks too. The problem isn't localized to Firefox, chrome has the same problem. I have Googled the problem and tried many different things and still am getting no results that work or that stay working. And I need some help to try what I have missed. I hate having to go through the hassle of a complete reinstall of my whole OS but I am thinking that I may have to. Which is 2hrs I don't care to waste, ironically though I will waste way more trying everything but. lol. Thanks for any help.

Oh and on another note I recently had to go through windows built-in disk manager and assign drive letters for USB drives as that stopped working too. And I had to install the SD card readers drivers too for it too work as well. I am 99.999999% sure that this is all software based as the same things do not happen when I run Ubuntu which I have dual booted on my computer.
Computer Specs
Member with 347 posts.

20-Jun-2012, 08:38 PM #2
Well I went and got the Realtek 64bit driver from Realtek's site rather than the one that is provided via ASUS's support site and I haven't been having any problems with their driver up to now. How long this will last I don't know but I have had the computer on for about an hour and haven't had any weirdness happen. Hopefully this has fixed the problem but for the life of me I can't figure it out as both drivers are apparently the same I guess (if everything stays well) the one from ASUS is/was corrupted somehow.
Computer Specs
Member with 347 posts.

23-Jun-2012, 03:30 PM #3
It's been 3-4 days now without a glitch other than from myself by plugging my headphones into the mic jack. lol. Anyway the new driver from Realtek over the new driver from ASUS seems to have done the trick.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
audio, flash, headphone jack, sound

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!