Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Multimedia Multimedia
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

CD Audio books

(!)

Member with 1,110 posts.

03-Jul-2012, 11:33 AM #1
Exclamation CD Audio books
I listen to audio books regularly. And prefer to convert the original CD to MP3 so that I can play on my handy portable MP3 player.

In the past I used MusicMatch to rip the CD disc files to MP3. Good results. I was very happy with the product.

Unfortunately it is not supported and will not run on Microsoft OS's after Win XP.

So... I have been using Power2Go for the purpose. It is not producing satisfactory results. In particular, it does not tag the MP3 files properly.

For one thing, track numbers beyond 9 are simply tagged as "1" instead of 10,11,12... This is a big problem with audio books since the tracks must be played in sequence. Another problem involves unique file naming. If the MP3 tracks are not uniquely named, MP3 players will regard loading the subsequent discs as duplicate tracks and prevent the transfer of additional MP3 files.

To some extent I have been able to get around the problem with an MP3 tagger program but it is time consuming and not as efficient as MusicMatch.

New versions of Power2Go do not seem to have fixed the problem. Any suggestions? I would love to get MusicMatch to work with Vista or Win 7.
Computer Specs
Member with 7,009 posts.

Experience: Advanced
04-Jul-2012, 12:06 AM #2
I still use Musicmatch for my music database but I use other software to rip, burn and tag. I'm still using XP and I know some people that got Musicmatch to work on Vista, but I'm not sure if it will work on Windows 7.

Get CDex to rip your CD's and do the initial tagging via a freedb.org lookup. You can also use Mp3tag to add other tags including Musicmatch tags.
Member with 1,110 posts.

04-Jul-2012, 08:46 AM #3
I use MP3tag. It is helpful, but still, an extra step... and time consuming to rename all the track titles.

I am interested in hearing how someone got MusicMatch to work with Vista.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
04-Jul-2012, 09:29 AM #4
If it works on Vista, it will work on 7 (90+% of the time - same kernel).

What problems have you had on 7? If it is a driver problem, can you use a customized installation to leave out the burning and any virtual drives the program may contain? Or install and run in Compatibility Mode (won't help a driver problem, however)?
Member with 1,110 posts.

04-Jul-2012, 10:38 AM #5
Running Vista not 7. Simply denies installing MusicMatch. I will try to install again and report the error message I receive.
Member with 1,110 posts.

04-Jul-2012, 11:33 AM #6
MusicMatch F/U
Just ran MusicMatch again under Vista.

Error message:
Contact MusicMatch for support
Your version of Musicmatch JukeBox isn't compatible with this version of Windows.
MusicMatch reports:

You're using Windows Vista.
Supported Systems:
Legacy OS support
Windows 98, ME, 2000, XP

Looks like I'm out of luck. Another reason to keep a copy of XP running!
Attached Thumbnails
CD Audio books-errormsg91.jpg  
Computer Specs
Member with 7,009 posts.

04-Jul-2012, 12:37 PM #7
The problem is even if you get Musicmatch to run on Vista, you're still going need a different ripper. The Musicmatch ripper will try to do an internet lookup on Musicmatch servers that no longer exist. If you can get the ripper to work you'll end up with Track 1,2... and unknown artist.

That's why I suggested that you use CDex which will rip the tracks, tag and rename them using a freedb.org lookup.
Member with 1,110 posts.

05-Jul-2012, 11:02 AM #8
Express Rip Plus
CDex Gave me the site to download Express Rip Plus v 1.89 from NCH Software. Very disappointing! In one case it totally mis-tagged tracks providing a collection of random music titles and artists. In other cases it did not give unique track names, necessary to put multiple discs on my MP3 player.

Alas, MusicMatch appears to uniquely provide the tagging I need with no requirement to do re-tagging with another software product.
Computer Specs
Member with 7,009 posts.

05-Jul-2012, 11:28 AM #9
Since you have Vista download CDex 1.51, under Installer click on "Download for Windows NT series (NT, 2000, XP, Vista)".
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!