Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Multimedia Multimedia
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

missing .bup file

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 246 posts.

Experience: Beginner
06-Jul-2012, 02:07 AM #1
missing .bup file
My daughter recently got the Brainetics learning tool but it requires a file called the .bup file which is evidently missing on my computer. I've done a search but there are so many places out there I don't know who to trust and with the problems I'm already having with the computer I don't know if I should put it on right now. I've listed in malware and other problems. Basically internet is running slow and freezing up, Smart is disabled, I have a memory leak (I have the notification from poolmon if it needs to be posted). Thanks to all you guys! Wish I'd have grown up to be a techie!

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
Processor: Intel Celeron processor, x86 Family 6 Model 22 Stepping 1
Processor Count: 1
RAM: 503 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family, 64 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 71939 MB, Free - 44889 MB; D: Total - 4368 MB, Free - 1751 MB;
Motherboard: ELITEGROUP, 945GCT-M3
Antivirus: PC Cleaners, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Disabled
Member with 11,761 posts.

06-Jul-2012, 03:24 AM #2
That isn't the one that costs $149 is it ...man thats expensive.

Not sure about the .bup file sounds a bit strange.

Where did you get this Brainetics learning tool from ?

Last edited by Megabite; 06-Jul-2012 at 03:38 AM..
Computer Specs
Member with 246 posts.

06-Jul-2012, 10:47 AM #3
.bup
I'm not sure how much it costs, when I saw they wanted my credit card I didn't go any farther. Brainetics is a program she bought off a tv ad She was shot in the head when she was 16 and it knocked out her frontal lobe (logic) so she has problems with math and this promises to make you a math genius for only $20.Of course she didn't tell me until she'd already ordered it.

06-Jul-2012, 10:50 AM #4
So it came on CD/DVD ...have you tried it on another PC to see if it works....does it install OK but when you try to play it you have problems?
Computer Specs
Member with 246 posts.

06-Jul-2012, 11:14 AM #5
.bup more info
Looked it up on microsoft...stands for backup on DVDs and some pics,etc. My computer doesn't have DVD capabilities I don't think, so she'll have to use the DVD player.

Thanks

Sharron
Computer Specs
Member with 246 posts.

07-Jul-2012, 01:34 AM #6
.bup
No, I haven't had the chance to get to another computer yet. I will try that though, thanks for the suggestion. The first time I inserted it, it opened just fine but after that when I jusst left it in the drive and clicked on it is when it gives me the message about the .bup file so it's weird to say the least. Think I'm going to hook up a DVD player to my daughter's tv and she can study in her bedroom! If I find any solutions I'll let you know.

Thanks bunches!

Sharron
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
07-Jul-2012, 02:36 AM #7
Any information you find about .bup files is almost certainly going to be incorrect. Anybody can use any file ending they choose for any file content or format that they choose, and that file type with that content may occur nowhere else except in that company's products. So you really need to find the file since anything else is a waste of time.

So, how do you know it is missing? What does the program do or not do? How far into running and using the program do you get? Does the program give you any indication of where it expects to find the missing file? The minutest details may hold clues.
Computer Specs
Member with 246 posts.

07-Jul-2012, 03:34 PM #8
Missing .bup
I put the DVD in my computer and a bunch of files show up. When I click on one it says that it needs .bup to open. At the point a windows box pops up and suggest doind a web search for the missing file extension to open the file. So I did that and get all kinds of possibilities and like you said anyone can use it, I've seen many different explanations for what that file extension is. I finally went to Microsoft and that is where I heard that .bup is a backup extension but that makes no sense! So I am totally confused. I am going to try to run the DVD in my DVD player and see what happens. My computer has a file called DVD Suite but I've never had any luck running DVDs.Is there such a thing as a plug and play DVD player for the computer?

Thanks for your reply!

Sharron

07-Jul-2012, 04:31 PM #9
Is this just a DVD say like a movie....I thought it was a Learning Game of sorts.

If it is just a DVD then you can download VCL player and or KMplayer to play the DVD.

If you look on the DVD when it is in the Drive and you can explore it can you see something called Setup.exe...if so click on that.

Here is the link to free VCL player below...click on download on right hand side

http://www.filehippo.com/download_vlc/
Computer Specs
Member with 246 posts.

07-Jul-2012, 06:14 PM #10
missing .bup
Thanks for the reply. I did download the file you suggested but still no help. No setup program either! I tried to play it under DVD Suite and Windows Media Player with no luck. Think I will contact Brainetics and ask what he was thinking not including a setup file! LOL

Thanks

Sharron
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
07-Jul-2012, 06:31 PM #11
Well, it is not a backup file, either. Microsoft doesn't own file extensions, either, so their suggestions can also be wrong.

It sounds like you are not clicking on the right file to start the app. What files and folders do you see on the disk?

Open the autorun.inf file with Notepad and that will tell you what program is usually executed to start the setup. It may be in a subfolder.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!