Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Multimedia Multimedia
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

converting video from dvd to... to smaller size!?

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
02-Aug-2012, 11:46 AM #1
converting video from dvd to... to smaller size!?
i want to convert a dvd to a format that will allow to be a zise of 500 to 7-800mb ,
maybe avi,or other video formats ,the smaller the video the better,but the screen size to stay the same,and image quality!

at the conversion ,maybe is possible to have one file...?

let me know your advice,and also if any software to do that and guide how to do it...

thanks
Member with 4,014 posts.

Experience: Advanced
02-Aug-2012, 07:28 PM #2
There are numerous factors that determine a file size, such as the video resolution, video bitrate, codec used, audio type, video length, etc. You can typically have high quality or small size. To get anything else, you need to decide which is more important, quality or size and make adjustments based on your decisions.

I currently use Vidcoder (Free - which is a gui for handbrake) to create mkv files. You can tweak the settings to get the quality or file size that you want/need. In the past I have used AutoGK (Free) with good results. I've also heard very good things about CloneDVD mobile (not free), but I've not used it.

It will be a matter of trial and error for you to experiment and find a happy medium between size and quality.
Computer Specs
Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
02-Aug-2012, 07:41 PM #3
thanks for replying!

i know that my dvd is about 3.5gb and of course the movie is about 40 years old...

now i am using phpmotion script ,so my problem is if it plays in a regular window image is better if go to full ,image will deteriorate ,

so now,what will be better to convert maybe to avi,mvk or mp4 ? the think is i want to upload the few movies up to my server ,but i want to have a okay quality video and the size of the file to be under 1gb, i only have about 70gb of space on the dedicate server...

thanks for any advice...
sorry i dont know much about it,so i ask..

regards,

bosanci28
Computer Specs
Member with 51,993 posts.

02-Aug-2012, 07:48 PM #4
The compression achieved by any of those codecs is very nearly the same, so it won't matter much which you pick. You should pick one that the people who will see it can probably play.

But smaller means lower quality. There is no way of getting away from that.

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!