Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Multimedia Multimedia
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Windows 7 doesn't recognize my Microphone?

(!)

Member with 6 posts.

09-Jan-2013, 03:58 PM #1
Windows 7 doesn't recognize my Microphone?
So I record music and I'm using an Icicle Converter to convert my Cadoid mic to my laptop. I've plugged my mic into the USB on my old vista laptop and it recognizes it and I can record fine. But on my current laptop with Windows 7, it doesn't even recognize my microphone. I've tried the adding new hardware via control panel but it doesn't even show up. Even when I right click on the speaker and go do recording devices the only two options are the Internal Mic, and Stereo Mix. All and any help is appreciated. Thank you for your time

EDIT: I clicked on show disabled devices and an external mic option appeared but it still isn't receieving audio

Last edited by metazrael; 09-Jan-2013 at 04:00 PM.. Reason: new information
Member with 3,502 posts.

Experience: Advanced
13-Jan-2013, 03:41 AM #2
If it's disabled, it isn't usable. Enable the device, and then check the status.
Member with 6 posts.

13-Jan-2013, 08:20 PM #3
@Odba11 It was initially enabled I disabled it because I thought it hindered the mic. I enabled and tried again but still didn't connect
Member with 137 posts.

16-Jan-2013, 03:30 PM #4
Hi,

You said, it's just the internal mic and he stereo mix showing up on the recording options. Can you see any other grayed out option? If none, Right click inside the box and make sure there is check on Show Disabled Devices and Show Disconnected Devices. See if your mic will show up and then Enable it and set to Default
Member with 6 posts.

16-Jan-2013, 07:18 PM #5
@Lucky Both the Show Disabled Devices and Show Disconnected Devices are checked but the only options are Internal mic, stereo mix and external mic. At first I thought this was my mic, but it's not picking up any sound it's called IDT High Definition Audio CODEC. My mic is called Blue Icicle Microphone.

Last edited by metazrael; 16-Jan-2013 at 08:55 PM..
Member with 6 posts.

16-Jan-2013, 10:05 PM #6
EDIT - So I found the Microphone in Devices but it hasn't been configured. It keeps asking me to troubleshoot it, but when I do it asks for a driver. As far as I know, The Icicle doesn't have a driver... Please help.
Member with 3,502 posts.

17-Jan-2013, 08:56 PM #7
How is it connected? The references I see for "Blue Icicle" refer to a XLR mic, and most PC's do not have a XLR input. If it's connected by XLR, then the card it's connected to will have drivers. If it's connected using a USB converter, then the converter likely needs a driver. If it's just a standard 3.5mm jack, then it's likely an audio driver issue.
Member with 6 posts.

25-Jan-2013, 08:39 PM #8
it's connected via an USB cable. Blue Icicle needs no driver, I've looked everywhere for one and they all say it needs no driver. On my old Vista laptop it runs with no driver. It's exclusively plug and play.
Member with 3,502 posts.

25-Jan-2013, 09:06 PM #9
It may be "plug and play", but everything uses a driver. If Blue Icicle doesn't supply a specific driver, then the device is using a generic Windows driver.

With that said, is the mic showing up in Device Manager? Assuming it is being recognized and installed by Windows, the problem may be with the audio drivers. Typically, when connecting audio devices in Win7, the audio driver software will pop up a notification showing new hardware has been connected.
Member with 6 posts.

26-Jan-2013, 10:36 AM #10
The mic "shows up" but it has to be troubleshooted, Win7 says that there's an error in installing the appropriate driver
Member with 3,502 posts.

28-Jan-2013, 09:14 PM #11
Uninstall the device, reboot, and see if it's properly recognized and installed.

Two possible causes: 1) the device isn't being recognized properly, thus Windows can't install it properly 2) Windows doesn't have the correct driver. Which would typically indicate Windows is hosed, or there is a driver needed from the manufacturer.
Member with 1 posts.

09-Mar-2013, 10:13 AM #12
Same problem here. Icicle fails to install driver properly for windows 7. Windows 7 attempts to update a driver at the same time, I think due to this device but fails too. I am guessing the Icicle is calling for the windows 7 update from the device. Failed update on Windows 7 appears to be around the multi channel usb audio area. I believe the answer lies in trying to install this update first. However, the error code on fail is due to the device not being connected when windows attempts to install - catch 22 as the device wont seemingly install without the 7 update !!!!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
audio, microphone, speaker, windows 7

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!