Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Multimedia Multimedia
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Mulder's Guide to Burning VCDs and DVDs from Home Movies

(!)

Member with 51,021 posts.

08-Jul-2004, 10:09 PM #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantavet
Cinema Craft Basic Encoder ($58) (the best quality)

This is a stand alone product correct? I saw in the system requirements that it was a plug in for Adobe Premiere. Do you need Adobe also?
No, it is a stand alone. And the "best quality" was my opinion based on the 3 I tried--there may be others that are better, but those three are pretty highly regarded at the price level. You can get encoders that cost thousands of dollars.

08-Jul-2004, 10:12 PM #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron24151
nice, but still confussed a bit here, If I have a dvd rw, what else do you need? hoow does the camcorder/vcr (like to copy old tapes to dvd) hook to the comp, doyou need a pci slot or something? thanks bear w/ me real newbie when it comes to this here transfering stuff.. thank you ron
The way your computer hooks up to the camcorder/VCR depends on what kind of Camcorder. If it is digital, the best way is with a firewire card (I394) that plugs into a PCI slot. If it is analog (older models), then you would capture through a video card that has capture capabilities. With a VCR, it would be a video card as well (with capture capability). There are other ways, but those are by far the most common.
Member with 113 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
09-Jul-2004, 12:52 PM #18
I have edited my movies with Pinnacle studio 9. Then I created DVD's with Pinnacle. Then I made MPEG2 file so I could get rid of the very large file. My question is if I wanted to make another DVD of the same thing, how do I do it with the MPEG2. I have Nero 6 that I have made VCDs with before, but can't work out how to make the DVD's with it

Thank you for any help

Carrie
Junior Member with 26 posts.

11-Jul-2004, 04:56 PM #19
Well I just bought a new laptop with a dvd burner in it and it came with a Win DVD creator platium cd and I just made a 45 min dvd from it. it has the Capture from camcorder or vcr, edit, author, and make movie selections, from the little I played with it, I also saw different effects and adding text and sound. Very user friendly has a wizard that walks you through everything. I'm sure that after using the wizard you would understand the program and figure out the other features rather quickly.

12-Jul-2004, 04:14 PM #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie_uk
I have edited my movies with Pinnacle studio 9. Then I created DVD's with Pinnacle. Then I made MPEG2 file so I could get rid of the very large file. My question is if I wanted to make another DVD of the same thing, how do I do it with the MPEG2. I have Nero 6 that I have made VCDs with before, but can't work out how to make the DVD's with it

Thank you for any help

Carrie
Pinaccle 9 should be able to burn a DVD from an MPEG-2 file. But if it doesn't, then Ulead Disc Creator 3 will for sure because I've done it. It should go much quicker because it won't encode it (it is already encoded to DVD format), it will just burn it. Nero should also do it as well, but you may need the upgraded one (if you have the free one) to burn DVDs.
Member with 113 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
13-Jul-2004, 01:17 AM #21
I will try and investigate the unlead. I have as yet to work out if you can do it in pinnacle and I do have the latest Nero. I press on DVD video and it says

'the file is larger than 2GB and therefore cannot be stored on an ISO file system. Please use the UDF file system to write such large files. This can be done by selecting another compilation type.'

What does that mean?

Carrie

13-Jul-2004, 06:57 PM #22
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie_uk
I will try and investigate the unlead. I have as yet to work out if you can do it in pinnacle and I do have the latest Nero. I press on DVD video and it says

'the file is larger than 2GB and therefore cannot be stored on an ISO file system. Please use the UDF file system to write such large files. This can be done by selecting another compilation type.'

What does that mean?

Carrie
It means you are not burning it as a DVD compliant MPEG-2, I think. I do not know anything about Nero, so can't answer specifically, but I do know there is no limitation of 2 GB for DVD video. I am sure you can do it in pinnacle, at least the later full versions (8, 9). You may have a limited version that requires an upgrade. I also know you can do it with ULead Disc Creator 3 or TEMPGenc (see my first post) or just about any other encoder that encodes in DVD (MPEG-2) compliant form. As I note in my original post, you are better off encoding it with a good MPEG encoder like TEMPGEnc or one of the others I mentioned.
Member with 3,497 posts.

Experience: Beginner
16-Jul-2004, 01:56 PM #23
I don't want to create a VCD. I have quite a lot photographs that I would to scan into my computer and then save them on CD. What software would you reccomend for that. I've seen some that are quite complicated as far as adding music to the collage but all I want to do is to save the pictures in as good a shape as possible. Any ideas?

16-Jul-2004, 03:36 PM #24
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeegle
I don't want to create a VCD. I have quite a lot photographs that I would to scan into my computer and then save them on CD. What software would you reccomend for that. I've seen some that are quite complicated as far as adding music to the collage but all I want to do is to save the pictures in as good a shape as possible. Any ideas?
You do not need any specialized software simply to burn files to a CD. All you need is whatever software came with your CD burner. If you do not have any, then virtually any software that burns to a CD burner will work. Most people use Nero and it has a free trial. Ulead also has a free trial so you can try that as well. There are probably some free ones out there as well, but I don't know of any myself.
Member with 3,497 posts.

Experience: Beginner
16-Jul-2004, 03:45 PM #25
I have Music Match and Windows Media Player. Neither of them burns pictures to CD. I've tried it. I'll take a look at Nero and Ulead to see if I can work with them. Thanks.

16-Jul-2004, 04:12 PM #26
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeegle
I have Music Match and Windows Media Player. Neither of them burns pictures to CD. I've tried it. I'll take a look at Nero and Ulead to see if I can work with them. Thanks.
MusicMatch will burn a data CD, which is what you want to do. Just go to "File, Create CD", then there is a little icon at the top that has a disc and a piece of paper--if you highlight it, it says "Change Disc type to Data". Choose that, then choose "add" and then just select whatever files you want to burn to the CD (that is for version 8--earlier versions may have different command structures)

You should know, however, that all that does is move images from your hard drive to a CD, which is fine, if you want to send that to relatives or whatever. Only problem is they need a computer to see them. If you burn them as a VCD (or DVD), then people who have DVD players can actually see them on their television, which is likely to be much bigger and better then looking at them on their computer monitor.

16-Jul-2004, 04:15 PM #27
I would suggest downloading the Ulead Disc Creator (it has a free trial) and try making a VCD with your pictures--add some nice background music and create a slide show and watch it. You'll change your mind real quick about how you want to distribute phographs for others to view. You could send both a VCD and a data disc just in case your relatives don't have a DVD player or one that will play VCDs.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Computer Idiot
19-Jul-2004, 01:34 PM #28
Question question
mulder, this is a good post for burning vcd's & dvd's from home movies. are you as versed in making a slideshow that will play in a dvd player?

i'm trying to create a slideshow that will play in my dvd player. i know it supports that function because i've played other peoples projects in my dvd player (cd-rw).

i've been told conflicting stories of what i'll need... ie a dvd burner. also, i have windows xp installed on my cpu and have been told the movie maker that comes with it and a cd burner will do the trick.

... well, i tried it and got an error msg that read "disk is dirty". so i retried... same deal. this result is better than when i was using roxio6 and the dvd player would say "insert disk" and wasn't recognizing anything!

19-Jul-2004, 02:00 PM #29
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneo73
mulder, this is a good post for burning vcd's & dvd's from home movies. are you as versed in making a slideshow that will play in a dvd player?

i'm trying to create a slideshow that will play in my dvd player. i know it supports that function because i've played other peoples projects in my dvd player (cd-rw).

i've been told conflicting stories of what i'll need... ie a dvd burner. also, i have windows xp installed on my cpu and have been told the movie maker that comes with it and a cd burner will do the trick.

... well, i tried it and got an error msg that read "disk is dirty". so i retried... same deal. this result is better than when i was using roxio6 and the dvd player would say "insert disk" and wasn't recognizing anything!

All you need is a cd burner to make a slide show that will play on a DVD player. You would burn it as a VCD. Keep in mind some DVD players do not play VCDs. As far as software, Ulead Disc Creator or a host of others will create slide shows. I don't know why you are getting an error, but I would post that in a new thread--probably in the hardware forum.
Retired Administrator with 103,708 posts.

Experience: Advanced
19-Jul-2004, 02:01 PM #30
I made a slide show on a cd burner. The only problem I had was you had to hit the forward button on the dvd player remote to get to the next frame. I'm trying to figure out a way around that

You might try another brand of CDRs.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!