Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Multimedia Multimedia
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

WMA file problems...

(!)

Member with 83 posts.

09-Nov-2004, 01:32 AM #1
WMA file problems...
I have been unsuccessful at trying to figure out why my Windows Mediaplayer is not allowing me to burn CDs. I continuously encounter this "common" error: Error ID = 0xC00D11CD, Condition ID = 0x00000000. Every possible solution that is available to this "all too common" error has been an attempt in vain for me. As a workaround I have tried to transfer my wma files to my Nero Burner to which now I receive messages stating that the files are protected and I can not copy them to another program to burn my disc. What bites? How can I "unprotect" these files and why, if I have never altered the files since ripping from discs, have the formats/properties changed? All files that I am dealing with are my personal musical compositions that I burned to disc and then into my PC so I can't fathom how they are protected...

B.
Computer Specs
Member with 8,709 posts.

09-Nov-2004, 09:09 AM #2
Windows media player 'protects' files it creates from cd to stop them being played on other computers/devices, which it assumes belong to other peope -therefore not allowed by law . This is turned on by default. Of course it stops you doing what is a perfectley legitemate act - making compilations for your own use from music you already own.
You can turn this off in windows media player but unfortunately I don't think you can remove the protection from music you've already ripped from cd, you'll have to do them again with the DRM (digital rights management) turned off in media player.
Have a look here at the article at the top of the page. It tells you how to turn it off too.

http://www.zachd.com/pss/pss.html#drm
Member with 83 posts.

10-Nov-2004, 06:03 PM #3
I have tried everything under the sun and to no avail still. I have uninstalled WMP 10 and rolled back to version 9. Is it possible to do a full WMP uninstall? I do not see this option in my add/remove programs tab. I have done everything but have made no progress in determining why this problem insued to begin with. I am terribly frustrated and at wics end with ideas. I am begging all of you true techies to impart some wisdom on me so that I can feel comfortable knowing that I have done all of the troubleshooting for this issue that is within my natural power....pweeease, help!

thanks in advance for all of your contributions.

B.
techkid   (David) techkid is offline techkid has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 2,312 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
10-Nov-2004, 06:45 PM #4
Disabling it is in 'Add/Remove Windows Components' (on the left of the 'Add/Remove Programs'). You have to do some searching (can't say too much more until I get home, wretched restrictions in class ).
Senior Member with 296 posts.

10-Nov-2004, 10:40 PM #5
Do you have the original audio disk that you ripped it from? I have been using my PC as a recording studio for a few years and I find using wav format is the most problem free. If you want to try an experiment to see if you can burn it in wav format load the sound recorder and play one of the songs you want to record. Record it and save it as a wav file. BTW have you ever tried cakewalk guitar studio 2.0, if you have never tried any computer based mixing and editing you should try their free demo. I'll never go back to all that expensive recording stuff. Hope this helps.
Member with 83 posts.

13-Nov-2004, 12:39 AM #6
Nothing is working...I have well over 60+ albums that I can no longer access. When I play the individual songs, they last for a minute or so and then give me an orange exclamation marker and an error message of some sort. This happens with all of the songs that I have saved via ripping. I have never protected any of the material in the past and the same material that I could burn before I can no longer access when trying to burn without that ******** "there is no one solution" error. Every piece of work that I have ever ripped is potentially lost (in excess of 500 songs) and I have no idea how to even remove the program. If I remove the program and reinstall, I am sure that I will still not be able to reverse the "ghost" protection that has been placed on my songs. This bites!!!!! Is there anything that I can do to simply reset the WMP program altogether? I want to rid myself of this problem even if that means that I have to lose all of my Media Library. As it currently stands, I can not do anything other than listen to snippets of songs. How can I achieve a clean slate?

B.

13-Nov-2004, 01:10 AM #7
do you have any other player on your computer such as real player. Is there a special reason you are encoding to wma, this is not a good format to save audio files IMO. I really don't think it is a protection problem. Can you burn your wma's as data files in case you have to do a format.Have you tried to open these files with the simple player located in c:/progran files/windows media player/mplayer2. Have you done a defrag. I would try to find an encoder and try to encode the files to wav or mp3. Do you have listed, in your add remove programs, windows media encoder. If not you should look for it on microsoft download site.If you can give a little more info on your operating system and sound card I think I will be able to get you through this
Member with 83 posts.

13-Nov-2004, 05:36 AM #8
What information do you need about the OS and soundcard...I have Windows XP Professional and have recently installed a Soundblaster (Creative Labs) soundcard. I can try to provide any other information as is required...

B.
Computer Specs
Member with 8,709 posts.

13-Nov-2004, 06:39 AM #9
If you have burned these same files before with no problem then I agree that it doesn't sound like a protection problem. (still make sure that DRM is turned off in media player though) I also think you should try playing the songs with a different media player - if you have nero, it comes with it's own media player, or download a free player just to try - winamp, musicmatch etc.
You can delete windows media player's library/database quite easily.
I have windows ME so it may be in a slightly different place in XP but the library info in media player is kept in this file in wmp9
"C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Player\CurrentDatabase_59R.wmdb"
do a search for the file name if you can't find it.
When you find it you can delete it. This will empty your wmp library, it doesn't delete your actual music files. Media player will create a new empy library on reboot.
Saving as wav files is fine but they generaly take up 10 times the space of a wma/mp3 file. There shouldn't be any problems with these formats normally.
Bh1934 if you like, e-mail me one of the songs that doesn't play (click on the e-mail link and I'll reply so you can send). It may not do any harm to take a look at one on another computer (if they're not protected) and at least if there's no problem with it you will know that the problem lies with something on your computer and not with the wma's themselves. I'm sure the piracy laws will turn a blind eye to this technical problem. To be safe, send me a really awful song that I wouldn't want to keep
Just an option anyway.

13-Nov-2004, 09:43 AM #10
Did your problems start about the time you installed the SoundBlaster. Did you use the install cd or did windows install the driver. Your SoundBlaster card should have a program installed called creative playcenter, I would use this program as your default media player. You can rip with playcenter. Moby is correct about WAV's taking allot of disk space however when encoding to wma and mp3, I have found the quality is not as good and sometimes burning issues like this come up. A few times I have noticed a few seconds of a song was complete missing on wma and mp3. The original compositions are worth the large disk space IMO. Have you tried to do a system restore to restore your computer to a time before you started having problems; this should restore your old version of media player? Creative labs support has a program you can download that will scan your computer and tell you what programs and drivers should be updated for their card. Well got to go to work I'll check back later. good luck
Member with 83 posts.

13-Nov-2004, 06:51 PM #11
Even when I transferred the files to another player (though they play fine), I can not burn them. It says that I do not have permission or "the right" or something like that. I have noi idea which direction to go in now. I think I may try to remove the library file that you mentioned above. If all else fails, I am trashing this P.O.S.. Just jokes, but I am totally lost if noe of these suggestions work...

B.

13-Nov-2004, 08:19 PM #12
I would check for any Nero updates. There was also a windows patch on their update site for burning issues about a year ago; it was not in their critical updates it was in the win xp part. It solved a few problems for me on other people’s computers. I would use your Nero to do the burning not media player. It might be helpful to get a little more info on the error you are getting could you double click, my computer, change a setting, administrative tools, event viewer, and application. Give some of the errors you are getting so we can try to isolate the problem.

15-Nov-2004, 01:48 AM #13
Does this sound like your problem bh1934

http://forums.techguy.org/t292177.html

or are you getting "access violation error"
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!