Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Multimedia Multimedia
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Adding files to a dvd

(!)

Member with 270 posts.

Experience: Network destroyer
29-May-2005, 08:47 AM #1
Adding files to a dvd
Hi,
I've just succesfuly burnt my first dvd. I've captured the video from my camcorder, and after lots of fun and games got a burnt dvd in dvd format. Now the question.
Can I add more footage to the dvd?
If I can what are the tips and traps?
regards
Matt
Computer Specs
Member with 8,709 posts.

29-May-2005, 11:28 AM #2
No.
If the DVD is a DVD-RW, then you can wipe the disc - add the footage to your existing video on the computer, then re-burn the longer video back to the DVD.
If the DVD is not re-writable, then that's it. All editing, adjusting, adding etc should be done before the burn.
Senior Member with 534 posts.

Experience: Advanced
29-May-2005, 11:43 AM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby
No.
If the DVD is a DVD-RW, then you can wipe the disc - add the footage to your existing video on the computer, then re-burn the longer video back to the DVD.
If the DVD is not re-writable, then that's it. All editing, adjusting, adding etc should be done before the burn.
For DVD/RW it depends on the size of the data written. For DVD/R it depends on whether the disk was closed after the write or left open.
Computer Specs
Member with 8,709 posts.

29-May-2005, 08:44 PM #4
Kingmatt, what software did you use to burn the DVD? What formats were the video files from your camcorder and did you do anything to them/author them before burning them?
If you chose to create a DVD video on a DVD/R or DVD/RW disc, then you cannot add to it in it's current state, the discs are closed. With those DVD video and disc choices there is no 'multi session'option for DVD video that I am aware of.
You would need software and a drive that supports the creation of a DVD/VR disc, which is editable direct from the disc and/or further video can be added to the disc. These can only be made from DVD+or-RW discs, with slight differences in the formats.
You do not have the option with non re-writable DVD/R's, they will be closed and cannot be left open after putting DVD video on them.

All this is based on Nero by the way, so if there are any magic programmes out there that can do different, then someone can chip in.
Member with 270 posts.

30-May-2005, 02:25 AM #5
Thanks for the replies.
I used Nero. The statement no multi session seems to be a final nail. Ah well, I'm pleased enough that I finally got a working dvd. I'll just have to save several files to the hard drive before I compile the dvd.
As I'm hoping to make these to save for a long time.
Matt
Computer Specs
Member with 8,709 posts.

30-May-2005, 05:48 AM #6
Quote:
You would need software and a drive that supports the creation of a DVD/VR disc, which is editable direct from the disc and/or further video can be added to the disc.
Kingmatt, Nero is able to create these type of discs. It is only a relatively new addition so if you update your Nero to the latest version from their website, (updates are free) the ability to create a 'DVD Video (VR)' will be there in the Smart Start options, or the Vision Express part of Nero, you'll just need a re-writable DVD disc in the drive to make it.
Check if your drive is supported here.
http://www.nero.com/eng/recorders.php
Member with 270 posts.

30-May-2005, 10:05 AM #7
Great Advice!
Downloaded updates, 80 mb. Yep, updated version allows adding dvd files. I'll explore the options.
thanks
Matt
Member with 270 posts.

03-Jun-2005, 09:29 AM #8
Thumbs up Nerovision Express 3se not showing dvd burn option
I got tricked trying to work out how to make a dvd using nero's visionexpress 3se
My default instalation didn't recognise a dvd to be burnt and wouldn't give me an option to burn a dvd, only a super vcd. To save someone else the same head scratching, a bit of info if you are in the same boat.
Get to the nve 3se start screen. (start> all programs> nero> nero digital> nerovision express 3se) (windows xp installation)
Click on the "more" button at the bottom of the screen.
Click on the "default video options".
Check the box " Enable smart encoding of Video and Audio material".
Click okay and hopefully, you'll now see the "make dvd" option appear as one of the choices on the nve 3se start screen
Hope this helps someone
regards
Matt
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!