Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Multimedia Multimedia
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

CDFS Vs UDF on CD-RW?

(!)

Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
23-Sep-2005, 03:04 PM #1
Question CDFS Vs UDF on CD-RW?
What are the technical differences and practical use of the these two file formats? I want to constantly burn then delete small files and folders on CD-RW. When I use the "copy to" function with XP it uses the CDFS - which is easy to use - but doesn't allow me to delete/erase the file/folder on the disc. A message pops up saying that it is read only and that I can only copy files over it - not erase it. How do I copy over a specific file/folder?

UDF which takes forever to format and used 200MB of space just for the formatting process, allows deleting of files but is very impracticable. I used the Sonic burner program which came with my Dell Insp 6000.
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Beginner
29-Oct-2005, 12:41 AM #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Sky
What are the technical differences and practical use of the these two file formats? I want to constantly burn then delete small files and folders on CD-RW. When I use the "copy to" function with XP it uses the CDFS - which is easy to use - but doesn't allow me to delete/erase the file/folder on the disc. A message pops up saying that it is read only and that I can only copy files over it - not erase it. How do I copy over a specific file/folder?

UDF which takes forever to format and used 200MB of space just for the formatting process, allows deleting of files but is very impracticable. I used the Sonic burner program which came with my Dell Insp 6000.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

29-Oct-2005, 10:20 AM #3
I think you pretty much summed up the differences between the two formats.

FWIW, I wouldn't use CD-RW media for anything important that you want to keep for any length of time.

For what you're describing, an external USB 2.0 disk would probably be ideal.
Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
29-Oct-2005, 12:04 PM #4
John,

Thanks,

The reason I use CD-RW's, is because I have to tranfer data to a computer that has 1st edition Win 98 - which does not recognize USB devices.
DaveBurnett   (Dave) DaveBurnett is offline DaveBurnett is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. DaveBurnett has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 9,606 posts.

Experience: Advanced
29-Oct-2005, 06:39 PM #5
Treat the UDF as a giant floppy, with the security considerations of TEMPORARY transfer.
After a lot of use, reformat.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!