Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Multimedia Multimedia
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

iTunes Will Not Open

(!)

awlucky3k awlucky3k is offline   awlucky3k has a birthday soon!
Member with 52 posts.

10-Oct-2005, 06:53 PM #1
iTunes Will Not Open
Does anyone know what would cause iTunes not to open? I did recently upgrade to a newer version, but since then I have unistalled it and reinstalled it to see if that would fix the problem, but it didn't. I also followed the instructions from Apple Support in the help article titled "iTunes will not open after upgrading" but that didn't help either. Anyone know how to fix this? Thanks for your help...
-Alex
Junior Member with 16 posts.

05-Nov-2005, 03:03 PM #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by awlucky3k
Does anyone know what would cause iTunes not to open? I did recently upgrade to a newer version, but since then I have unistalled it and reinstalled it to see if that would fix the problem, but it didn't. I also followed the instructions from Apple Support in the help article titled "iTunes will not open after upgrading" but that didn't help either. Anyone know how to fix this? Thanks for your help...
-Alex
I'm having a similiar problem.
Earlier this week iTunes was working fine, and yesterday I came back from class and iTunes was closed; So I tried to re-open it... it didn't re-open... I tried a different shortcut, nope, I went to the actual exe file, and no luck.
I re-installed it, nope.
I updated to iTunes 6 and had the same problem.
I looked aroudn the internet, and found one suggestion that it's norton, and to make it so no norton things open at Start-Up. This worked, but today, iTunes closed, and its been doing the same thing again. I looked and unchecked other programs, restarted, and it opened, but closed soon afterwards.

I have a HP, Pentium 4, all the requirements, Windows XP, with latests updates. and have enver had this problem before yesterday
Member with 52 posts.

06-Nov-2005, 10:56 AM #3
You haven't found anything new about the problem, have you? I am still trying to figure it out.
-Alex

06-Nov-2005, 02:07 PM #4
Quote:
You haven't found anything new about the problem, have you? I am still trying to figure it out.
-Alex
opening msconfig and closing all services but microsoft ones, and then restarting usually does something... but it'll be open for a little and thne close after a few hours.
It's very annoying
Member with 52 posts.

07-Nov-2005, 10:54 AM #5
Hi again,

I just tried disabling all of my Norton programs and then opening iTunes and it opened for me. Then it asked if I wanted to update to version 6.01, and I clicked yes. After the installation was finished I opened it again and it worked again, so maybe it does have something to do with Norton. I'm going to restart my computer and see if it will work with the Norton programs running.
-Alex

07-Nov-2005, 11:04 AM #6
Yeah, but my iTunes will now close adn i have to restart and mess with things until it'll work again... and then out of no where it will close.

I think Apple needs to release a patch or something; I can't stand using winamp
Member with 52 posts.

07-Nov-2005, 12:47 PM #7
I just tried to open iTunes with the Norton programs open and it didn't work. It has got to be one of those programs. Which ones are you running? I'm running Norton Internet Security, Norton Password Manager, and Norton Anti-Virus. I might give them a call if it doesn't cost anything.
-Alex

07-Nov-2005, 01:16 PM #8
Quote:
I just tried to open iTunes with the Norton programs open and it didn't work. It has got to be one of those programs. Which ones are you running? I'm running Norton Internet Security, Norton Password Manager, and Norton Anti-Virus. I might give them a call if it doesn't cost anything.
-Alex
turned 'em all off; not using any one, it still won't open.
And when it does it closes either a few minutes or many hours after opening.
Member with 52 posts.

07-Nov-2005, 01:28 PM #9
Very strange. Mine is still working fine.
-Alex

07-Nov-2005, 01:41 PM #10
Quote:
Very strange. Mine is still working fine.
-Alex
thats good, I got rid of Norton and got a different virus program, AVG, and it still wont open
Junior Member with 5 posts.

10-Nov-2005, 10:15 PM #11
I don't have any Norton programs on my computer, and iTunes wouldn't open for me either. I uninstalled, then reinstalled it. Now it opens and gives me the user license agreement, but it closes itself after a second or so. Clicking buttons in the brief time before it closes doesn't help.

10-Nov-2005, 11:15 PM #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogu ogu
I don't have any Norton programs on my computer, and iTunes wouldn't open for me either. I uninstalled, then reinstalled it. Now it opens and gives me the user license agreement, but it closes itself after a second or so. Clicking buttons in the brief time before it closes doesn't help.
yep, same problem... I dont know what to say, But I wish someone, Apple maybe, could come out and fix this error... I seriously miss iTunes
Junior Member with 5 posts.

10-Nov-2005, 11:29 PM #13
At least we're together in our misery. This sort of thing just really makes me want to get a mac mini or iBook...

10-Nov-2005, 11:33 PM #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogu ogu
At least we're together in our misery. This sort of thing just really makes me want to get a mac mini or iBook...
Well, I love my PC; but I just have way too many songs ot switch anywhere else.

Plus the whole, Random Album Shuffle pwns all
Member with 49 posts.

Experience: Advanced
11-Nov-2005, 12:51 AM #15
It is also happening to me, but I have no Norton products... Just McAfee Viruscan Enterprise. Let me know if you find anything out...
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!