Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Multimedia Multimedia
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Windows Media Center Question

(!)

Junior Member with 13 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
02-Jan-2006, 10:11 AM #1
Post Windows Media Center Question
I just purchased a Dell Pentium 4 machine with XP MediaCenter. I can copy tv programs to my hard drive but, I can't seem to find a way to make a DVD of the tv program. Can it be done?
Member with 89 posts.

03-Jan-2006, 11:46 AM #2
I have just found how to do this myself but to make it easier to describe go to this URL for Media Center which will walk you through the steps.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/m...rntvtodvd.mspx
Computer Specs
Member with 8,812 posts.

03-Jan-2006, 12:22 PM #3
By default Windows Media Center does not include the capability to burn to DVD to be played by a stand-alone DVD player due to the use of the MS-DVR file format media center uses. There are several third party applications that contain this ability.

One of the DVD burning suites that support the MS-DVR formats is Nero Burning Rom, but I believe it's only included in their ultra and premium packages. With Nero, you can use nero's Recode to convert the movie to standard DVD format.

If your not using a burning app that can handle MS-DVR, then you need to convert the file to a format that your burning application can use. Retail media centers ship with a version of Sonic Encoders for this purpose, but if you are missing this application, you can use Dcut, http://www.inseattle.org/~dan/Dcut.htm (accessed through "more programs" in your media center to convert the show to WMF, and then re-encode with your burning application. I know it's a pain, and I've no idea why microsoft decided to make it so difficult.
Computer Specs
Member with 8,812 posts.

03-Jan-2006, 12:43 PM #4
Form the well known MCE forum The Green Button:
Quote:
Ahh yes, the "holy grail" of MCE... Recording TV to DVD. Should be easy, no? NOT! I've been tinkering with this subject for a while and have the following observations. I have not user SonicPrimetime. If soumeone can draw comparisons to the below and add it on, go right ahead please!

A - NerVision Express.
Advantages:
1 - Burn direct from dvr-ms to DVD, no sweat.
2 - Offers an interface to edit the item first

Disavantages:
1 - I've yet to be able to burn a DVD of what I would consider decent quality. I always record on the "best" setting, and when converting and burning with NVE3, it generally compresses it too much and makes it look like crap. There may be a way to get this to convert better, but I have not found it...which brings me to point 2...
2 - Horrible user interface. Come on guys, how about a frame by frame advancement option when editing. Also, if you make one small screw up, it has a habbit of re-ordering your segments, and doing other weirdness. Generally, the interface for editing SUCKS.
3 - Not free! You'd think that with the above shortcomings, they'd throw this to us as a free add-on or something.

B - TMPGEnc Express 3.1 (3.0 does not support dvr-ms)
Advantages:
1 - Great user interface
2 - Wonderful editing features (Ahead could learn something here for their next NeroVision product.) Frame by frame advancement, easy to understand cut functions, etc. I loved this product.
3 - Support not just for dvr-ms, but all kinds of files and converting. Just a great tool!
4 - Control over quality of the output. I've been able to make some great DVDs of movies I've recorded with MCE using this product. Again, Ahead, take notice!

Disadvantages:
1 - Not free...quite costly as a matter of fact, all things considered.
2 - Add on required for DVD editing due to the AC3 audio stream. You've got to be kidding me!? You can't make that part of the product rather than tap me for another $30?
3 - Very resource intensive and time consuming. Don't plan on sitting there watching these convert. Best if done before bed and then just queue up a batch. By the time you get home from work the next day, you'll have some VIDEO_TS directories to burn.

C - Sonic Encoders
Advantages:
1 - Free (you can find them on the web as per the prior post. I believe they're free!)
2 - Support within the MCE interface. Just click Create DVD/CD from the MCE interface, select the files, drop a blank in and away you go!
3 - Pretty quick about burning.
4 - Very very very easy to use.

Disadvantages:
1 - No editing at all. You burn what you recorded...period
2 - Quality of resulting burns os somewhat lacking.
3 - No menu options. All the DVDs you make will have the same blue MCE Background with the title there. Take it or lea...err, no, wait, you can't leave it....it puts it there, period!

Conclusion:
Different needs will dictate which choice you make. For those items that I just want to drop on DVD for someone, for example, a friend of mine missed 24 last week. I dropped a blank DVD in my machine, went into MCE told it to make the DVD (using the Sonic encoders) and within about an hour, I had the DVD burned. He can live with the bad quality and having to fast forward through the commercials (nice friend I am, huh!) So, for things like that, you can't beat the Sonic Encoders.
However, after recording A Bugs Life the other week, I wanted to hack the commercials and create a DVD from it for my collection. Using NeroVision Express, I screwed up a few times, started over from scratch, etc. Upon completion, I ended up with a sub-par quality DVD. I sat down later on with TMPGEnc Express 3.1, went through the same excercise and ended up with a very good DVD. However, my trial has expired for the shareware version of it, and I'm not about to plunk down that cash for it. Just not worth it.

For everyday use, just use the Sonic Encoders. If you're a power user, and don't mind dropping a few bucks, get TMPGEnc. If poor video quality and a bad user interface is worth paying for, then by all means, get NeroVision Express!
http://www.thegreenbutton.com/commun...04&TopicPage=2

Posted by Ghostlobster
Junior Member with 13 posts.

03-Jan-2006, 01:03 PM #5
After 40 minutes of holding on I got a Dell Media Center tech. He showed me how to do it in Windows MCE. You record it to your hd. Then go to recorded files, right click on the title of what you want to make a DVD and that's it. I tried it with 13 mins. of a tv movie I recorded and though painfully slow it copied the movie to a DVD RW disk and I played it a DVD player attached to my stereo. A 2 hour movie would probably take all night to copy.
Thanks for your response
Member with 89 posts.

03-Jan-2006, 01:55 PM #6
I find calling the regular Dell support a pain and hard to understand. My best questions were answered by e-mail as I could understand them. At 83 my hearing is not !00% and my brain has also slowed down a bit. But I would appreciate it if you could tell me how you contacted a Media Center Tech. Could you e-mail me the data. I have recorded many 2 hr shows from TV but this is a max. and takes about that long to burn. I have double layer recording capability but not sure if that will work with the Media Center.

Carrollm
Carrollfm@sbcglobal.net
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!