Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Multimedia Multimedia
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Windows Media Center & VHS to DVD

(!)

Member with 135 posts.

14-Jan-2006, 11:15 PM #1
Windows Media Center & VHS to DVD
I have a HP Media Center PC where I have the TV card on my computer. Now when I record movies it is in a very odd format, I beleive specifically for use on your own computer. Now I wanna take old VHS tapes of christmas, birthday, etc. and put them onto my pc. I do have the front video jacks and audio jacks but I am not sure where to start. Any tips on using this pc ( http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...name=c00280666 ) to transfer vhs on the hard drive?
Computer Specs
Member with 8,812 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-Jan-2006, 01:04 AM #2
Use the coxial cable input as WinMCE doesn't allow switching the source. Then turn to channel three or four like you normally would to watch movies off the VCR, and press the record button.

If you wish to cut out parts, you'll need to use Dcut, which is freeware, http://www.inseattle.org/~dan/Dcut.htm
and accessable under "more programs" in MCE.

To burn the video to DVD's, you'll either need sonic-encoders (packaged with retail media center PC's) which shows up under "more programs" in MCE as "burn DVD/CD", or you'll need another burning application that supports MS-DVR files. The only burning application that I can think of, off the top of my head, that supports MS-DVR files is Nero burning rom. There are others, I just cant think of them now.
dimmie dimmie is offline dimmie has a Profile Picture
Member with 152 posts.

Experience: Working towards Advanced
15-Jan-2006, 01:21 AM #3
maybe the software that comes with convertx from plexar....you can google it
i think just the software to convert analog signal to digital is about 30.00 bucks
the snippit below is from the web site....... I have the whole converter system and software and i love it ....i converted all my old vhs tapes using the software from this converter !!!

InterVideo WinDVD Creator 2
ConvertX™ comes with the powerful and easy-to-use WinDVD Creator 2 software from InterVideo with Dolby® Digital and DivX® encoding support. The software guides you through each step for capturing and editing video, adding effects, and burning Video CDs and DVDs. One click is all it takes to pull in video from a camcorder or another analog source. You can create CDs or DVDs without spending all day learning complicated programs. WinDVD Creator’s storyboard interface makes the entire DVD-making process as easy as moving pictures around on a computer screen. Create a CD or DVD in four easy steps: capture, edit, create and share. With the software’s professional grade features, you can select recording quality, use a countdown recording timer and view real-time encoding playback. Editing controls include trimming, title insertion, MPEG cutter and combine/divide video file.
Member with 135 posts.

15-Jan-2006, 03:14 AM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrootdude
Use the coxial cable input as WinMCE doesn't allow switching the source. Then turn to channel three or four like you normally would to watch movies off the VCR, and press the record button.

If you wish to cut out parts, you'll need to use Dcut, which is freeware, http://www.inseattle.org/~dan/Dcut.htm
and accessable under "more programs" in MCE.

To burn the video to DVD's, you'll either need sonic-encoders (packaged with retail media center PC's) which shows up under "more programs" in MCE as "burn DVD/CD", or you'll need another burning application that supports MS-DVR files. The only burning application that I can think of, off the top of my head, that supports MS-DVR files is Nero burning rom. There are others, I just cant think of them now.
Man I cant beleive that I didnt even think about just hooking it up through the coax. Do you have experience with MCE? Does putting VHS to the pc then to DVD make the quality look bad? I guess i will find out, but thanks for the help!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!