Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Multimedia Multimedia
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How to convert my Itunes library . . .

(!)

Member with 99 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Mar-2006, 03:33 PM #1
How to convert my Itunes library . . .
I want to convert my whole itunes library to mp3 format. Currently some songs are mp3's and some are m4a.

Can someone suggest a programe that can convert my whole library, which is organised, so all the files are under artisit then album folders. I dont want to have to go through each file individually as i have around 600 to convert.

Or can anyone suggest and alternative way to convert my whole library?

Cheers
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 47,077 posts.

27-Mar-2006, 09:55 PM #2
dBpowerAMP Music Converter (dMC) sounds like it may do the conversion as long as none of the iTunes files have DRM protection. The support forums on the site seem to discuss methods and work arrounds for processing files in a directory structure. The software is not free but they offer a 30 day trial.

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm
Senior Member with 146 posts.

Experience: I get by
29-Mar-2006, 02:53 AM #3
Usually m4a files are m4a because they have DRM protection (if that's the crap that will only allow the file on 3 different computers or something like that) The most efficient way to get rid of m4a that i have found is to burn a cd from itunes and then rip it using different software. I used CDex for about 50 cds worth of songs. quite the hastle, but now they are all mp3.
-mphair
Member with 99 posts.

29-Mar-2006, 04:17 AM #4
dBpowerAMP worked great, i already had the program, hadnt realised that there was a multiple file selection tool, worked fine on the diredtory structure. Dowloaded the codec for the m4a support. Everything worked great.

Cheers
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs

29-Mar-2006, 10:51 AM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mphair
Usually m4a files are m4a because they have DRM protection (if that's the crap that will only allow the file on 3 different computers or something like that) The most efficient way to get rid of m4a that i have found is to burn a cd from itunes and then rip it using different software. I used CDex for about 50 cds worth of songs. quite the hastle, but now they are all mp3.
-mphair

The .m4p file is a DRM-protected iTunes file and the .m4a file is an unprotected AAC audio file.

El_Doro,

If you consider your question resolved, you can mark this thread "Solved" using the Thread Tools menu at the top of your fust post.

Last edited by cwwozniak; 29-Mar-2006 at 10:56 AM..
Computer Specs

29-Mar-2006, 10:56 AM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mphair
-mphair
I believe there is a subtle difference between m4p and m4a
The .m4p file is a DRM-protected iTunes file and the .m4a file is an unprotected AAC audio file.

El_Doro,

If you consider your question resolved, you can mark this thread "Solved" using the Thread Tools menu at the top of your fust post.

EDIT: Just realized that the original link for the above quote included a paragraph on bypassing the DRM. Link removed. -CWW
Senior Member with 146 posts.

Experience: I get by
31-Mar-2006, 03:33 AM #7
cwwozniak...my mistake, i was going off of memory and didnt research. in my defense, they are pretty close and both kinda suck.
-gtard
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!