Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Multimedia Multimedia
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Best fixing program for video files that won't play and are corrupted or incomplete?

(!)

Senior Member with 1,183 posts.

08-Apr-2006, 06:40 PM #1
Best fixing program for video files that won't play and are corrupted or incomplete?
I have a bunch of downloaded video files that when I try to open and play them in most every type player, a popup comes up saying it can't be played because file is possibly corrupt, etc. Most are ones I can't get again, so would like to try fixing before deleting them.

Is there a really good "fixer/repaired" program that Really Works to fix the headers, footers or other corrupted format or missing parts that keep them from playing?

I've seen a range prices between $19 to $39 for such media fixing programs on a Google search. I even tried one(shareware) and it didn't work.

Are there any that really DO fix them for most video types for sure?

Last edited by joeAgain------; 08-Apr-2006 at 06:46 PM..
Member with 56 posts.

09-Apr-2006, 01:57 AM #2
What File Type are they?
What file type are they, these files you download? If they are AVI format and use the DivX codec to encode them, you can use a program called DivFix to fix them. If they are mpeg-1 or 2, you should simply reencode them to something else. Also, do you have the codecs installed? Download all the codecs, that should solve your problems. Microsoft's website has the codecs for Windows Media Player as a download, also download DivX from www.divx.com, what else, Nimo Codec pack should cover the rest of the codecs except for Matroska (which is a b*tch to reencode to anything else let me tell you, I've wasted many fruitless nights trying to find solutions to my Matroska headaches - I'd like to find the guy who invented it and kick him in the n*ts for trying to pioneer something no one supports) but you can download the Matroska pack from their website. I'm not sure what it is offhand, but you can google it. Oh yeah download an XviD codec too but don't let it associate itself with DivX encoded files or you'll find a new batch of problems. Nimo codec pack comes with an XviD codec but it doesn't install it unless you tell it to, but I highly suggest you don't use that particular one.
Member with 56 posts.

09-Apr-2006, 02:07 AM #3
If you have the codecs...
If you have the codecs installed (or once you install them) if you're still having problems getting them to work, VirtualDub is a great open source program for recompressing mpeg-4 (by mpeg-4 I mean AVI files in general) files. If you don't want to recompress them, simply run it thru VirtualDub and do a direct stream copy on the audio and video - that means it doesn't recompress the file, it simply creates a duplicate but it fixes errors whilst doing so. I've run partially downloaded divx avi's thru DivFix and VirtualDub (direct stream copying the audio and video) to preview them and see if they're worth the time and effort involved to download them. But be warned - VirtualDub is not for beginners. It's a great program for what it's worth, but it's not easy to master like Nero Recode. You might try it too if you want something easy. Or if you get DivX Create, it comes with a simple DivX converter program.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

09-Apr-2006, 11:20 AM #4
Truthfully, the only sure fix for corrupted files is a copy that isn't corrupted.
Member with 56 posts.

09-Apr-2006, 07:36 PM #5
Testify my brother
Yup in my own experience there aren't a lot of files I've downloaded that I haven't been able to fix someway or another but sometimes I encounter one that just seems to be impossible to fox. The one and only solution to this is to FIND replacements for these files. I've found there isn't a lot of things that are totally irreplaceable. I thought I wasn't going to be able to replace my old Sierra and LucasArts games from back in the day but I found abandonware sites that carry the games I used to have, including Full Throttle which is one I never thought I'd find but I finally did. To all lawyers out there here's my question: what the hell's the point of extending the Digital Millenium Copyright Act to abandoned games you can't buy anywhere except off some jacka** on eBay? I can understand music and movies and stuff, but games the manufacturer refuses to sell anymore? That's dumb, and a rant for another forum somewhere. I'll shut up now.

10-Apr-2006, 09:15 AM #6
HyperMagic2,
When I right click and chose "Properties" on them, I get a number of different things.

Some say "mpeg files", others just say "media file", so I have no idea the true file types. If they are "mpeg's", I don't know if they are type 1, 2 or 4, or wha. How would I "Convert" them some some type I know?

Is there a good free program to convert them to an Mpeg type I know?

AND is there a free program that would tell me all the technical info about them?
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 958 posts.

Experience: Always interested in new experiences
10-Apr-2006, 03:51 PM #7
Have you tried opening them in GSpot?

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

11-Aug-2006, 06:27 PM #8
I just tried to open one of them in GSpot and it says it is "not a valid AVI file". That's right....it is an Mpeg.

What am I supposed to tell GSpot to do now?

Please?
Senior Member with 1,275 posts.

11-Aug-2006, 07:28 PM #9
divfix
sometimes virtualdub
VLC isnt good at fixing them but can play incomplete files -
google 'em all

AVIcodec can identify what you have

11-Aug-2006, 08:26 PM #10
even if it isn't an AVI, but an Mgeg?
Senior Member with 869 posts.

Experience: Enough
12-Aug-2006, 04:22 AM #11
VirtualDub Mod can handle MPEGs. You can try playing that using VLC and see if you can play at least part of the file, or skip over the bad parts. If you can skip over the bad parts, then you can use the bookmark feature of VLC to extract the good portions.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!