Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Multimedia Multimedia
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

CD Burner Not Burning

(!)

Member with 35 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
17-Apr-2006, 09:53 PM #1
CD Burner Not Burning
Hello,

Recently, it has come to my attention that my computers CD burner is no longer functioning. The other day I was trying to burn some pictures to give to a friend, and it would go through the process, but then at the end it would say that there had been a problem, and the program needed to close. The result is a ruined CD-R, and no files burned anywhere.

This is beginning to become a problem, as I used to use it to regularly back up word onto CD-RW's and would like to do so again.

This problem persists as well on burning music, or anything for that matter, and I'm out of ideas.

Please, if anyone knows anything about this, tell me, and I'll get you whatever statistics, logs, or anything needed to diagnose this.

Thanks,
--Fate
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

18-Apr-2006, 08:50 AM #2
First off, what software are you using? Many burning packages have a "simulation" function that goes through all the motions, but doesn't actually burn the disk. This is to test if the burn would be successful.
Member with 35 posts.

18-Apr-2006, 07:52 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWill
First off, what software are you using? Many burning packages have a "simulation" function that goes through all the motions, but doesn't actually burn the disk. This is to test if the burn would be successful.
I am unsure of what you mean. I put a blank CD in the computer, and I open it as a folder, I copy/paste what I want into it, and then I click burn, and the Windows thing pops up to guide me through it.

When I do audio CD's I use Media Player, though I did once try with iTunes.
Enfrcr911 Enfrcr911 is offline   Enfrcr911 has a birthday soon!
Member with 122 posts.

Experience: Beginner
18-Apr-2006, 09:21 PM #4
Not tonight...I`m out just at a bit,....dont ask...dammid...all ...I wanted was....Just to do the S-video config.....heck...im tired..im out
Computer Specs

19-Apr-2006, 08:31 AM #5
Enfrcr911, is there some reason you posted this totally nonsense post here?
Computer Specs

19-Apr-2006, 08:32 AM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatebringer
I am unsure of what you mean. I put a blank CD in the computer, and I open it as a folder, I copy/paste what I want into it, and then I click burn, and the Windows thing pops up to guide me through it.

When I do audio CD's I use Media Player, though I did once try with iTunes.
OK, you're using XP's native CD burning. If Media Player and iTunes also fail, then it's a common issue. The first stop would be to uninstall all the optical drives in Device Manager, reboot and see if that get's it's mind right. If it still doesn't work, it may be time to test the CD-RW drive in another machine, it may simply have failed.
Member with 35 posts.

19-Apr-2006, 08:40 AM #7
Quote:
OK, you're using XP's native CD burning. If Media Player and iTunes also fail, then it's a common issue. The first stop would be to uninstall all the optical drives in Device Manager, reboot and see if that get's it's mind right. If it still doesn't work, it may be time to test the CD-RW drive in another machine, it may simply have failed.
I'm a little confused when you say optical drives. I wouldn't consider myself skilled with a computer per-say, but I am sure I can find them... once I know where I should look. I'm unfamiliar with the Device Manager.

PS: The drive is in a laptop, I don't think I can move it to another machine, can I?
Computer Specs

19-Apr-2006, 08:47 AM #8
Being a laptop, I guess not. Optical drives are CD/DVD drives of any variety. Since you only have one, that's the one to uninstall, then reboot. Windows will regenerate it, and hopefully solve the problem.
Member with 35 posts.

19-Apr-2006, 05:35 PM #9
Quote:
Being a laptop, I guess not. Optical drives are CD/DVD drives of any variety. Since you only have one, that's the one to uninstall, then reboot. Windows will regenerate it, and hopefully solve the problem.
Urgh... I deleted the driver, let it come back, and the thing still refuses to work.

This, exactly,
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...er/Problem.jpg

Is my last recourse truly to send it back and get a new one?
Computer Specs

19-Apr-2006, 05:40 PM #10
Can you read disks with the drive?
Member with 35 posts.

19-Apr-2006, 05:44 PM #11
Yeah, it seems to work in pretty much all other respects, just not this.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!