Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Multimedia Multimedia
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: How can I convert .ram audio (playlist) files to mp3?

(!)

Member with 969 posts.

30-Oct-2006, 12:48 PM #1
Solved: How can I convert .ram audio (playlist) files to mp3?
I have several .ram audio files that I would like to convert to .mp3 so that I might play them on my Sandisk m240 mp3 player.

The files are all 1KB in size, and whenever I click on one of them RealPLayer opens and starts playing the file.

I tried using Audacity, but receive a message telling me that the files cannot be opened since they are Playlist files which only contain links to other files, but that maybe I could open them in a text editor and download the actual audio files. How do I go about doing this?
Member with 216 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-Oct-2006, 04:40 PM #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgreene
I have several .ram audio files that I would like to convert to .mp3 so that I might play them on my Sandisk m240 mp3 player.

The files are all 1KB in size, and whenever I click on one of them RealPLayer opens and starts playing the file.

I tried using Audacity, but receive a message telling me that the files cannot be opened since they are Playlist files which only contain links to other files, but that maybe I could open them in a text editor and download the actual audio files. How do I go about doing this?
The default extension for MP3 playlists is .m3u. It could be as simple as changing the extension on the .ram file to .m3u. If that doesn't work, create a .m3u file. Open a text editor (Notepad, or better yet, Text Pad) and drop the .ram and .m3u files into it. They both should have a list of filenames and maybe paths for the MP3 files. U'll have to compare the formatting from the .ram file to the .m3u file, and convert accordingly.
Member with 969 posts.

30-Oct-2006, 05:50 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by syc0path
The default extension for MP3 playlists is .m3u. It could be as simple as changing the extension on the .ram file to .m3u. If that doesn't work, create a .m3u file. Open a text editor (Notepad, or better yet, Text Pad) and drop the .ram and .m3u files into it. They both should have a list of filenames and maybe paths for the MP3 files. U'll have to compare the formatting from the .ram file to the .m3u file, and convert accordingly.
Thanks for the reply. I'll give that a try.
Member with 1,200 posts.

Experience: active involvement
30-Oct-2006, 09:29 PM #4
hi...if you don't mind a 2 step process you can change em to wav with this

then from wav to mp3 with this

the first one converts in realtime 1 ram file at a time only
in "options" you have to select "sound only WAV" (the mp3 setting does not work..i've tried different codecs and settings but no go, that's why it's a 2 step process)
then drag and drop the ram files into the black area and select output name and destination...then hit go

the second will batch convert from wav to mp3

if you decide to try it and can't figure it out i'll give ya some instructions
Member with 969 posts.

31-Oct-2006, 01:12 AM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by syc0path
Thanks for the suggesion. I tried changing the extension to .m3u, using Notepad, but didn't have any luck.
Member with 969 posts.

31-Oct-2006, 01:20 AM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by t bone
hi...if you don't mind a 2 step process you can change em to wav with this

then from wav to mp3 with this

the first one converts in realtime 1 ram file at a time only
in "options" you have to select "sound only WAV" (the mp3 setting does not work..i've tried different codecs and settings but no go, that's why it's a 2 step process)
then drag and drop the ram files into the black area and select output name and destination...then hit go

the second will batch convert from wav to mp3

if you decide to try it and can't figure it out i'll give ya some instructions

First of all, thank you for the suggesion. Following your instructions, I was able to successfully convert the .ram files to WAVs. Next I downloaded Wav2MP3 Wizard; however, when I clicked on the icon I received the following error message: Run-time error ''50003': Unexpected error

So that's as far as I've gotten. I don't know what needs to be done in order to resolve the Run-time error problem.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
31-Oct-2006, 01:29 AM #7
If they are only 1 kb in size, they do not contain any audio information and cannot be played or converted to anything. If you can play them, it is because they are internet shortcuts to the streams that contain the audio information.

Have you tried playing them when not connected to the internet?

Can you play the .wav files you produced?
Member with 1,200 posts.

31-Oct-2006, 06:20 AM #8
did you download wav2mp3 from the first link at the site (the one that says "contains all required runtime components")

i do this procedure all the time with instruction clips from gp mag. so i assure you it does work.
but as elvandil asked, do the .wav files play in wmp when you dbl. click on em?...just to make sure were ok up to that point.

you could always use db converter to go from wav to mp3...the mp3 encoder expires after 30 days though

Last edited by t bone; 31-Oct-2006 at 06:28 AM..
Member with 969 posts.

31-Oct-2006, 12:29 PM #9
Yes, the WAV files are playable in WMP. In fact, I burnt them to a CD-R and played them on my home player and in my van. The 1kb size had me leery at first, but obviously I was able to get the actual files.

I do have dBpowerAMP on my PC, but the trial time has already expired.

I really can't answer your first question, t bone. I felt a little unsure when I went through the process, so maybe I did something wrong. I'll go through the process once more and let you know how things turn out.

If nothing else, I'm at least thankful that I was able to convert the ram files into WAVs.

Thank you for your help thus far.
Computer Specs
Member with 6,929 posts.

Experience: Advanced
31-Oct-2006, 12:56 PM #10
You can get the last freeware version of dBpowerAmp here: http://www.aplusfreeware.com/categor...BpowerAmp.html
Member with 969 posts.

31-Oct-2006, 02:00 PM #11
Thank you very much for the tip! The new version of dBpowerAmp did the trick, as I figured it would. (Will this really be the last free version?)

I've learned a few things from this thread. Thanks again to all of you.
Member with 1,200 posts.

31-Oct-2006, 04:23 PM #12
nice assist stanley

your welcome wgreene

you can mark thread as solved using "thread tools"

Last edited by t bone; 31-Oct-2006 at 04:28 PM..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!