Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Multimedia Multimedia
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

SndVol32.exe Missing

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

11-Nov-2006, 01:30 PM #1
Exclamation SndVol32.exe Missing
I have a problem with my speakers not working. My computer is giving me an error message that the SndVol32.exe file is missing and it says to go to Add/Remove Programs to install it but I get no where with doing that either. I bought a sound card and installed it to see if that would fix it and NO it didn't. I reloaded XP on the machine still nothing. I get system sounds but no stereo sounds thru my speakers. I tried going into the Device Manager and updating and still won't work. Can somebody PLeaaaaaase help me?

Karen36
Couriant   (James) Couriant is offline Couriant is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Trusted Advisor with 30,855 posts.

11-Nov-2006, 01:52 PM #2
Welcome Karen36

Have you searched for SndVol32.exe? It's a system application so it shouldn't have been deleted. You should find it in c:\Windows\system32 folder.

If you do not see the system32 folder, go to Tools > Folder Options. Then go to the View tab and make sure Show Hidden Files and Folders is selected.
Couriant   (James) Couriant is offline Couriant is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.

11-Nov-2006, 01:57 PM #3
I'll do one better. I have attached the file here. Make sure you extract it in the C:\Windows\System32 directory.

You may need WinZip or WinRAR to extract it. Most of the time though Windows can do it.
Attached Files
File Type: zip sndvol32.zip (59.8 KB, 559783 views)
Computer Specs

11-Nov-2006, 02:22 PM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couriant
Welcome Karen36

Have you searched for SndVol32.exe? It's a system application so it shouldn't have been deleted. You should find it in c:\Windows\system32 folder.

If you do not see the system32 folder, go to Tools > Folder Options. Then go to the View tab and make sure Show Hidden Files and Folders is selected.
Thank you for your help I did that and it came up one file when I did the search. But why, when I try to add the volume icon in my task bar, it giving me an error message saying it's missing?

Karen36

11-Nov-2006, 02:38 PM #5
i'm not too sure what you mean by adding the volume icon in my taskbar.
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 4,825 posts.

Experience: Semi-advanced
12-Nov-2006, 06:26 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couriant
i'm not too sure what you mean by adding the volume icon in my taskbar.
In Control Panel-> Sounds and Audio Devices there is a box to tick 'Add volume icon in the Task Bar'.

@karen36

MICROSOFT SOLUTION

To resolve this issue, extract a new copy of Sndvol32.exe from the Windows XP compact disc to the system_root\System32 folder on your computer's hard disk.

To do this, follow these steps:

1. Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into your computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive. Press and hold down the SHIFT key as you insert the CD-ROM to prevent it from starting automatically.
2. Click Start, and then click Run.
3. In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.
4. Type the following lines at the command prompt, pressing ENTER after each line, where CD-ROM drive is the drive letter of the computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive that contains the Windows XP CD-ROM, and system_root is the path and folder name where the Windows system files are located (generally C:\Windows):
CD-ROM drive:
cd i386
expand sndvol32.ex_ system_root\system32\sndvol32.exe

Or:

Quick Mixer Size 154 kB Win 9x/NT/ME/2000/XP

Quick Mixer 1.8.3 (last freeware version) is a tray-agent alternative to the Windows Volume Control (SNDVOL32.EXE). Quick Mixer is re-sizeable and has many settings which affect the way it looks and acts. Quick Mixer is a great replacement for that little yellow speaker icon that may now be in your tray! Quick Mixer controls Main-Volume, Main-Treble, Main-Bass and up-to 16 playback audio sources! Quick Mixer gives you access to every available playback mute on your sound-card. Quick Mixer gives you access to the first on/off check under Advanced, Other Controls. Quick Mixer allows you to create 10 audio profiles and optionally starts up with a default profile. Quick Mixer has full install support and un-installs through the Control Panel.

http://www.angelfire.com/oh4/quickmixer/quick.htm

Note I have no experience withh this app.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 6 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
13-Dec-2006, 07:55 AM #7
Smile I Lost Volume Icon Also.
Thank You - Couriant For Putting Up The Sound Volume Exe File.
It Extracted - Beautifully And Everything Is Back As It Should Be.
It Is My Daughter's Computer And I Was Really Stressed Out About Not Being Able To Get The Volume Control And Mixer Back - Which I Had Obviously Messed Up.
I Can Now Rest Easy.
Many Many Thanks..
Junior Member with 1 posts.

03-May-2007, 08:27 PM #8
Awesome Thank You! :j
Couriant / Tidus4yuna

I just wanted to say Thank You Very Much.
All the extractions from my xp discs were not
working for some reason so I really appreciate it. :j

:jaymes

03-May-2007, 09:57 PM #9
anytime
Computer Specs

10-May-2007, 05:29 AM #10
Talking x64 too!
Hey thanks! This fix works for x64 as well!
Computer Specs
Member with 47 posts.

15-May-2007, 10:39 PM #11
thanks for the fix ... been googling for days till I found this link

16-May-2007, 01:43 AM #12
Shiny Glad to be of service.
Computer Specs

27-Jul-2007, 05:18 PM #13
Thank you to Couriant
Hi, Have just registered in order to say thanks - my Volume Control got blackholed, Volume disappeared from Control Panel etc... but dl the file from your link and am now one happy bunny - many many thanks. Roger
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 4,825 posts.

Experience: Semi-advanced
27-Jul-2007, 05:53 PM #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerp
Hi, Have just registered in order to say thanks - my Volume Control got blackholed, Volume disappeared from Control Panel etc... but dl the file from your link and am now one happy bunny - many many thanks. Roger
Just goes to show how a search will usually find a solution.

23-Aug-2007, 11:57 AM #15
Thanks from me, too!
This was getting very frustrating (this pc is moodier than I am, for cryin out loud!), and you saved the day by posting the file here. Much appreciated.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!