Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Multimedia Multimedia
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

MusicMatch Jukebox 7.5 (NOT)

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

31-Dec-2006, 01:46 PM #31
I was sent here from another thread I posted at, wish this one came up first in google.
I feel we shouldnt have to WAIST our precious time and fixing what Microcrap has broken, this not being the first one either I'm sure. Some sites REQUIRE you use IE, there for MS should Pay us for our time and money we spent and give us a permanent fix for our favorite program. it's like this... you go to a Chevy dealer buy a new Truck and 3 years later they tell you it's no longer allowed on the road so we took your motor out of it.
Currently I got 10.chit MMJB running and deleted IE completely off, after that 7.5 still wouldnt install. I didnt try a different directory YET but I want my 7.5 that I have a PAID KEY CODE that no longer works, I also feel that Yahoo NOT SUPPORTING the WORKING FUNCTIONALITY of a BRAND NAME product is like Chevy saying "we can not replace your engine" after they stole it. SHAME ON YAHOO for taking advantage of all these people that are giving up on their older PAID version to AGAIN buy there upgraded CRUD that does nothing more 7.5 .... heck probably 5.0 did. they are playing they MS greedy game, "just make it look better and add that new feature we bought from Glass2K, change a few dll's to makes sure they cant use some older programs and were set like Phillip Morris Co.
I ( I mean We ) keep hoping the Compting world will get easier but the BS keeps rising from the big boys. MS motto should read "How much time do you want to waist today" well I must say I feel OK about waisting the last hour now. Good luck to all See ya in the LAW SUIT if one arises.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
05-Jan-2007, 05:34 AM #32
It seems that the problem may be a dll required by IE7 is actually part of Windows Vista and therefore not present on Windows XP machines.

This is apparently affecting quite a number of applications so it would seem safe to assume that this is a bug in IE7 that will be fixed by a future update.

In the meantime the easiest way to get Musicmatch 7.5 working again is to uninstall IE7.

For reference the missing file is called dwmapi.dll.

You can check this for yourself using the Dependency Walker utility. This is a free MS tool and allows you to find out what dll's programs require and if any are missing. Much of the information provided is only of interest to programmers, but its fairly easy to see which files are missing. It can be found here http://www.dependencywalker.com

Grimlar
Computer Specs

05-Jan-2007, 10:38 AM #33
I uninstalled it as I said... but still wouldn't let me reinstall 7.5, I may have a ti here - That at one point I did install the Vista transformation pack. and when I lost 7.5 the first time after the IE7 update I figured it was the vista pack.
Member with 8,974 posts.

05-Jan-2007, 02:51 PM #34
Hi Grimlar,

Thanks for mentioning 'Dependency Walker',
Ive never heard of that before.
Ive downloaded it, i'll try it later.

John
Member with 8,974 posts.

05-Jan-2007, 02:57 PM #35
This might seem naive, but has anyone tried putting the required DLL into the MM folder ?

Normal procedure is that an app will first look to its own folder, before going through the retrieval procedure involving the PC's collection of DLLs.
(i think ... but whats normal ? ... these days they write whatever they like)

John
Computer Specs

05-Jan-2007, 03:35 PM #36
Yes, apparently someone has tried copying the dwmapi.dll file across to XP, it fails to register properly as it is a Windows Vista only file. Something to do with the new Vista desktop / interface I believe.

It seems that there are going to be some changes to the way some of the underlying windows systems such as COM and obviously the GUI are organised. This seems to be where this file comes in, dwmapi.dll is required by ieframe.dll which is required by the new mshtml.dll which was installed by IE7. Neither ieframe.dll or dwmapi.dll were present before IE7 so far as I can tell. It seems that a different DLL, shdocvw.dll, provided some of the same functionality before.

Mshtml.dll however IS required by Musicmatch, BUT, copying an older version of this file into the musicmatch directory is not sufficient on its own, there were quite a few other DLL's changed by IE7. As IE7 is integrated so tightly to the OS it means that some of the newer DLL's from the system32 folder will be loaded when the OS is loaded, I dont know if XP would load a second (older) version of a DLL when Musicmatch runs, but I doubt it.

As such I think this is a bug that MS will have to fix sooner rather than later as it seems there are quite a number of programmers having problems with this aswell, it seems to interfere with their development work, something MS usually tries to avoid.

Of course that still doesnt necessarily mean that a program as old as musicmatch 7.5 will work with an updated IE7. It may be IE6 is as far as we can go with Musicmatch on XP. On the other hand, Windows Vista would have the missing DLL's and MS will at least have to have a stab at providing some backward compatibility, It may be that Musicmatch will work fine on Vista.

As for a Vista transformation Pack, I dont know what it does or how it works but if it relies on any of the DLL's from Vista to work then it is entirely possible that it will interfere with Musicmatch too.

Sorry I cant be of more help, but I dont really know much about it myself.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

12-Jan-2007, 02:09 PM #37
Telstar - concerning IE 7 and MusicMatch
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Can you elaborate a bit. Does installing Version 10 first provide necessary Version 8 files, that will work with IE7?
How did you get Version 10 into a different directory. When I install, a C:Program files>>MusicMatch directory is created right away. It isn't until later in the custom install process that I get to choose a different directory. By then, a bunch of files are already in the MusicMatch folder.
Any help would be appreciated. I sure enjoy the simplicity and intuitiveness of the older versions, particularly version 8.
Thanks. Gozer

Last edited by Gozer; 12-Jan-2007 at 02:15 PM..
Telstar Telstar is offline Telstar has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 791 posts.

12-Jan-2007, 07:02 PM #38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gozer
Telstar - concerning IE 7 and MusicMatch
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Does installing Version 10 first provide necessary Version 8 files, that will work with IE7?
How did you get Version 10 into a different directory. When I install, a C:Program files>>MusicMatch directory is created right away.
Hi Gozer,
As far as installing into a different directory...when the .exe opens to start the installation of v10, make sure the radio button is marked at Save to Disk (instead of Open with), but before initiating the install, I had already created a new Folder at C:Program\MusicMatch v10 (I'm pretty sure that's what I named it) and saved the file to there and then started the installation from that Directory and made sure the file path went there.

Though other posts have speculated on what the reason my v7.5 was not able to install, all I'm sure of is that when I went back to IE6 from IE7 I had no problem with the installation, so there's something in IE7 that prevented this (and I'm still at IE6).

Hope this helps.

05-Feb-2007, 08:12 PM #39
I happened upon this discussion due to the same IE7 MMJB 7.5 issue everyone is having.
I've uninstalled IE7 reinstalled MMJB but now have the strange problem that I wanted to know if anyone else is experiencing? now whenever I start MMJB my Browser (Firefox) is unable to connect to the internet. But if I close MMJB it works again. And if you hadn't already guessed IE is unaffected.
Member with 204 posts.

07-Feb-2007, 09:45 PM #40
Mmjb 7.5
The only way I was able to get MMJB 7.5 working again (and yes, it is working great) was to uninstall the newest I.E.7.0 which I didn't like anyway. I then did a thorough uninstall of MMJB which I learned from one of the threads in this forum. It involved using windows uninstall program, Deleting MMJB entries from the program files and 2 places in Documents and Settings.....Also stopping all running processes concerning MMJB (Control, Alt, Del) to get to the processes. Then there was the registry edit. But - all of these things worked and I was able to do a clean and successful reinstallation of my MMJB 7.5 from the original program file that I saved when I purchased the upgrade.

07-Feb-2007, 11:36 PM #41
Well upon following RJ's suggestions I uninsalled completely just as he said all entries folders cleaned registry ( I used CCleaner). And reinstalled with no problems. Finally everything is working correctly.

Anyone tried MMJB 7.5 on Vista?
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 5 posts.

12-Feb-2007, 02:05 PM #42
scratching my head in utter confusion
I completely erased any traces of Musicmatch 7.5 and IE 7.0.5xx from my computer, including the registry. I installed IE 6 and after a couple of reboots tried to install MM 7.5, which I purchased on CD rom, along with an update key for plus. The result was an error message that informed me that IE was not installed, and that it was highly recomended that I install at least ie 5.5. The installation stalled at this point. IE did not show up under ADD/REMOVE programs in the control panel , but it was available from the start menu, and I was able to browse. About IE showed the version to be 6.something. I will update if I can find a way to make this work.

19-Feb-2007, 08:08 AM #43
Musicmatch 7.5
Musicmatch does not work with IE7. Roll back to IE6, no probs
Computer Specs

Experience: Advanced
20-Feb-2007, 12:34 AM #44
Thumbs up IE7... what a hose job!
First, like everyone else, I don't think MMJB has had a version worth a damn since 7.5. Just like AOL taking over WinAMP/Nullsoft, Yahoo has polished up MMJB with all sorts of crappy little bells, whistles and advertisements that pretty much make it worthless.

And just as bad, they have completely hosed the old MusicMatch Artists website, which I must say was quite invaluable to me when trying to find specific titles/artists/albums but I guess it was just too much work to keep it updated. Now I use Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk to gather the all important artist information, playlists, album covers, etc.

In any event, I ran into the same problem everyone else has. Against my better judgement I installed IE7 only to realize too late what a mistake it was. However, since I had also upgraded from WMP10 to WMP11 at the same time (yeah, that was stupid...), I wasn't exactly sure where the problems were. I rolled back to WMP10 figuring that this was a "Media Player" conflict but alas... you know the story.

I finally made the transition from IE7 back to IE6 and I must say that it worked splendidly. Reinstalled MMJB 7.5 and now I am happier than a pig in... well, you know.

Now just one more issue which I need to resolve which may be a topic in another thread. At the time I installed IE7/WMP11, my FireFox freaked out. All my Toolbar Shortcuts disappeared. *POOF*!!! I am like WTF? To make things worse, the FireFox window will no longer remember the settings. It always starts up as 1000x1000 window, and always in the upper/left corner regardless of where it is when I close it. It also will no longer allow me to save any shortcuts on the toolbar or anywhere else for that matter. It just freezes and I have to resort to Task Manager to kill it. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling it to no avail. If anyone has any suggestions or a link to a thread that may shed some light on this issue, I'd greatly appreciate it.

BTW - Great site, guys. keep it up!

ON EDIT - I poked around a bit more and figured out the FireFox issue. My localstore.rdf file somehow got corrupted, possibly when I was updating IE or WMP. In any event, the fix was easy although all my toolbar bookmarks are forever gone. The fix was located here at http://kb.mozillazine.org/Window_pos...rtup_-_Firefox and resolved my issue in short order.

Thanks again.

Last edited by dYgYtAl World; 20-Feb-2007 at 02:23 AM..
Computer Specs

Experience: Advanced
08-Apr-2007, 10:57 PM #45
Thumbs up Thank you
Thank s to everyone for finding the answer to this one. I would have never associated the install of IE 7 to the MM problem because I also installed a new HD and did a new install of XP.

Damn you Bill Gates!!

I use Firefox anyway, don't know why I installed IE 7.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!