Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Multimedia Multimedia
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How do i convert AA files to Mp3

(!)

Member with 103 posts.

05-Dec-2006, 05:54 PM #1
How do i convert AA files to Mp3
Hi i have just bought some audio books from Audible and i thought the web site said i would be able to play them on various players, but they have downloaded as AA file types and will not play on my mp3 player.

So does anyone out there know a AA to mp3 converter please.

I have bought and paid for these files but i am unable to play them can anyone help please.

Also if i can convert them the file size is very small does anyone know what bit rate in mp3 is the same as the AA file type please.
Senior Member with 1,993 posts.

05-Dec-2006, 06:11 PM #2
AA files have a proprietary DRM protection built in - I think answering may be against TSG rules?
Member with 103 posts.

05-Dec-2006, 06:17 PM #3
Ok thanks anyway it seems i have bought them and i carnt luse them. i will read the small print next time thanks anyway i thught there would be a catch somewhere.
Couriant   (James) Couriant is offline Couriant is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Trusted Advisor with 30,817 posts.

05-Dec-2006, 06:19 PM #4
Do you mean AAC files? If so then that's Apple's format. You can use iTunes to listen to it and also burn a CD of it, depending on the license the store allows you to do.
Member with 103 posts.

05-Dec-2006, 06:40 PM #5
No the files are not AAC they are just AA file type. and they are audio books

Yes i can burn them to CD then rip them from the CD to mp3 but i dont want to do it the long way round, i thought i might just be able to convert them.

It not as if i have not paid for them i just did not realise they would be in this AA format
Couriant   (James) Couriant is offline Couriant is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.

05-Dec-2006, 06:42 PM #6
i didn't realise that there was an AA file extension.

I guess ask Audible to see what they say about using it on your MP3 player. If they can't help you then I guess you will have to go the long way round.
Member with 103 posts.

05-Dec-2006, 06:46 PM #7
Yes i have already asked Audible and they say it carnt be done. I guess they dont want to sell me anymore book because they dont wanh to help
Computer Specs
Member with 5,037 posts.

Experience: I get by
05-Dec-2006, 06:48 PM #8
it kind of bites but AA is used as a form of DRM just as lister sugested. Answering questions on how to convert it will most likely get the thread closed. But just remember if you can hear it you can record it

05-Dec-2006, 06:49 PM #9
I dunno DM... I've seen some moderators on our side when its about music that was purchased...

As for a program, this is a free to try. It may be what you need: TuneBite

Mods: remove the link if it is against the rules. I've seen different stances on purchased music
Computer Specs
Member with 5,037 posts.

Experience: I get by
05-Dec-2006, 06:59 PM #10
I was surprised to see AA listed as a convertable format by TuneBite Couriant. I know River Past Audio Converter could do it but they were threatened with a lawsuit by Audible.com and have removed the ability from the more recent versions of it. The most recent version doesn't even recognize AA files.

05-Dec-2006, 07:02 PM #11
Perhaps it's a rouge one, or Audible hasn't seen it yet.

05-Dec-2006, 07:24 PM #12
I just saw that it's only 30 secs of recording
Member with 103 posts.

05-Dec-2006, 07:39 PM #13
Thanks guys i dont want to get anyone into trouble or anything like that.

But i have paid for these audiobooks all i want to do is use them on my mp3 player

thank for the info
Senior Member with 1,993 posts.

05-Dec-2006, 10:55 PM #14
I guess you can 'burn them to an audio CD'?!! As it says so on their website?
Quote:
Originally Posted by audible.com
1. Download audio and transfer it to your mobile audio device or burn CDs.
Then you would have an audio cd that you could use as any other?

06-Dec-2006, 02:32 AM #15
Lister:

1. Download audio and transfer it to your mobile audio device or burn CDs.

problem is from its native format, no player supports AA files.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!