Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Multimedia Multimedia
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Macromedia's Flash

(!)

Member with 46 posts.

12-Dec-2006, 10:46 PM #1
Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Macromedia's Flash
Can't play video on 'Youtube'. The following error comes up, 'Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Macromedia's Flash Player. Get the latest flash player. '

Javascript is on and working because I need it for other sites. Flash player is working also because I can play video from any site I go to other than 'Youtube'. Flash player is updated as well.

Any thoughts?

Running xpsp2. I.E. 6.
Computer Specs
Member with 37 posts.

Experience: Beginner
19-Dec-2006, 07:52 AM #2
hey i also get exactly the same message as you, but i can play it on my own website if i just copy the link and then it works fine..
Member with 46 posts.

19-Dec-2006, 07:26 PM #3
I found that if I re-install flashplayer it works but for only a day or so.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Advanced
31-Dec-2006, 10:25 PM #4
I still cannot find an answer to this problem. I use both IE7 and Firefox, and this problem is only with IE7. Also videos from YouTube.com will play embedded on other websites. I tried enabling more security Active X items in security options with no change to the problem.

Possibly I overlooked one? Or maybe I need to, uh, do something else?
Someone please remedy this. I am out of ideas!

Could it possibly be out of out hands and an issue with Youtube itself and the new IE version?

Experience: Einstein
02-Jan-2007, 06:12 AM #5
I first got the error message on Dec 28. Today is Jan 2 by the way...
Yeah I think its youtubes fault. I have tried literally everything, I activated all javascript things, reinstalled flash player, got the latest version of both flash player and javascript and debugged them and it still doesnt work.

But I know my computer is capable of playing those videos because if I trick youtube by accessing someones video blog and pressing play on one of the videos "IT PLAYS"!!! but whenever I search for a video and try to access it i get the error message for some reason so I dont know why youtube thinks my computer isn't capable of playing videos even though I can....

Also at random times they start working again like yesterday for the first time in a week I was able to watch videos so I took advantage of this by looking at all the ones I wanted to see because the second i clicked out of it and tried to go back, the error message came up.

I think its safe to say that this is Youtubes fault!!
Member with 46 posts.

02-Jan-2007, 10:37 AM #6
Check your spyware and anti-virus. They may be deleting your flashplayer. That's what happened with mine. My spyware picked it up as a trouble and was deleting it. After I run it I now check to see if it was picked up.
Computer Specs

Experience: Beginner
06-Jan-2007, 06:46 PM #7
I have the same problem with youtube. I got the latest versions of flash and javascript, enabled all the active x and script things. turned off mcafee. i have windows xp and another user on my computer has no problem watching videos.

I was able to do as youtube posted above and view a video directly from someone's video blog.

If anyone can figure this out please help me too
Junior Member with 8 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
18-Jan-2007, 12:43 AM #8
Did Anyone find an answer
I have the same problem! If I use the script and stick it in a webpage I can view fine, but can't view from the YouTube site direct or from a link....
Junior Member with 8 posts.

18-Jan-2007, 12:55 AM #9
And the answer is.....
(YouTube says) "Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Macromedia's Flash Player. Click here to get the latest flash player. "

But I have JavaScript on, and have the latest flash player. Despite that, I clicked again, receiving the message in Adobe's site: "Macromedia Flash Player was successful installed". Still nothing works....

Bottom line: You need to download and install the latest *full* flash player. I got mine from http://www.softwarepatch.com/internet/flash.html

I'm not sure if this is YouTube's problem (for not recognizing the partial install) or Macromedia's (for not doing a proper partial install), but I had the same problem and now it works great.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 19 posts.

Experience: depends what you ask....
04-Feb-2007, 01:15 PM #10
thanks dude, this worked a treat for me, good stuff
Member with 110 posts.

22-Feb-2007, 10:03 AM #11
yep, worked for me too - thank you daskarzine
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Advanced
06-Mar-2007, 01:40 AM #12
Awesome! Thanks Daskarzine

06-Mar-2007, 10:13 AM #13
Thank you for putting answer on web. Works for me too. (holland)

12-Mar-2007, 05:39 PM #14
I've also had the same problem for about 2 months now. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the flash player at least 20 times but the problem is always there. I'd love to say the download quoted here has solved the problem but I'm having great difficulty downloading it. I'm getting a 'speed' of 851bytes/sec and for the 4.01MB file it's going to take me 1hr 7mins 20secs to download. I'm now on a 'speed' of 217bytes/sec and I've had to cancel the whole thing. I've tried about 10 times and the speed rate is appalling. After about 15 mins I managed to download 74.9kb of the file. I give up. Is there anywhere else I can download this file from please?
Member with 45 posts.

14-Mar-2007, 11:17 PM #15
javascript
That worked perfectly well, thank you so much!!! i always get the best advice from this site!!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!