Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Multimedia Multimedia
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Need Help Resolving Laggy/Skippy AVI Playback

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 14 posts.

Experience: Beginner
26-Jan-2007, 10:26 PM #1
Need Help Resolving Laggy/Skippy AVI Playback
Before I post the question I will specify what I am using
Emachines T1100
20 GB Hard Drive: 8-11 GB available space
Intel Celeron 1.0 Ghz
256 mb SDRAM
Embedded Video
(::Sob:: this machine tortures me)
Problems with the machine: Getting on in years and it seems its CPU usage is always fairly high. Recently I have opened it up to blow out dust and also fully replaced the case to one with a 350W PS and better case fan.

Okay so I am downloading AVI files that contain subtitles (around 180 mb each) and the playback quality on like all of my video players is poor- The problem is that the screen freezes every 6 seconds for a 5 second period but the audio is still going smooth. I've tried Windows Media Player, DivX Player, Real Player, Creative Media Source Player, and Windows Media Player Classic. I know there is no codec problems as I am sure I have all I need. I realize I have a poor computer but It never really had trouble playing any video files before. The worst and only playback problems come from the ones with subtitles. I've tried changing the screen resolution to 800X600, going through the media players tinkering with the preferences, using task manager to stop a few programs, and even turning off firewall and virus protection to lower processes but nothing works. Oh yes also I am fairly sure the files themselves aren't bad as I've played one that didn't work on my computer on my mothers laptop (I can't use that though as for some reason I am only allowed to use this).

I've got with me a stick of DDR2-667 256 mb (5300) RAM and I ordered a PC Chips AM2 motherboard but It's going to take me a couple weeks to obtain a processor (going 65 nm X2) and I want to resolve this problem ASAP.

Is there any help you guys can provide or is this a lost cause? Please respond ASAP and any help is greatly appreciated!
Member with 22,807 posts.

26-Jan-2007, 11:11 PM #2
Avi's can be very demanding on a processor and memory. Where are these files coming from. By the way, your computer is extremely underpowered for streaming uncompressed video.
Computer Specs

26-Jan-2007, 11:17 PM #3
According to forum rules I can not rightfully say where I get them (please do not think too badly of me) . Also I realize my computer sucks but is there nothing I can do?
Computer Specs

28-Jan-2007, 10:17 PM #4
Sorry to double post but no one has revived this and I had a question relating to this. Would it help/solve the problem if I used a converter like STOIK to compress/convert the AVI files? If so which format should I convert to? STOIK offers DV AVI (PAL), DV AVI (NTSC), DIVX AVI (PAL), DIVX AVI (NTSC), AVI Small (160X120, 15 FPS) AVI med. (320X240, 15 FPS), AVI lrg (640X480, 25 FPS), a large variety of WMV that varies on internet connection types, WMV PAL CBR, WMV PAL VBR, WMV NTSC CBR, and WMV NTSC VBR. So please respond ASAP anyone and once again very sorry for the double post.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

29-Jan-2007, 08:38 AM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenjitamura
According to forum rules I can not rightfully say where I get them (please do not think too badly of me) . Also I realize my computer sucks but is there nothing I can do?
Also according to the forum rules, we can't help with illegal movie copies. Since you obviously read the rules, please try to adhere to them.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!