Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Multimedia Multimedia
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Simple Fix for Youtube Sound Failure

(!)

Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
11-Mar-2007, 06:36 AM #1
Simple Fix for Youtube Sound Failure
Problem:

My flash audio was working great on Google Video and on nearly everything else so I knew that my computer sound configuration was okay. But when playing the very same clip on youtube.com there was no sound. And I could not hear audio on other youtube clips. ( I have noticed that a lot of users have experienced this problem.)

Solution:

I observed that whenever I logon to youtube.com they automatically create this folder on my harddrive:

C:\Windows\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects

However, in order for the youtube audio to work properly there must be one more folder. Unfortunately, neither the Flash Player installer nor youtube.com creates this folder.

I simply added this necessary empty folder into the #SharedObjects folder so my path now looks like this:

C:\Windows\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\12345678

This new empty folder is named "12345678" (or any different normal eight characters of your choice).

Youtube then uses this folder to install their file named soundData.sol, and now the sound works as intended on the very first click.

It even enables youtube audio to work on 98SE with Opera and Firefox (the MSIE browser installation is not even necessary). And there is no need to edit the registry nor to add any files. All I did was to create an empty folder at the location specified.

(I did not test this on 2000/XP, but if you already have the \#SharedObjects folder somewhere on your computer, just add an empty "12345678" folder there and give it a try.)

Note: This is a solution for the youtube.com audio failure when you know that your sound configuration already works okay on other sites.
Computer Specs
Member with 8,812 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
11-Mar-2007, 09:27 PM #2
By chance, do you know a fix for when the same problem is experienced on linux? I've seen this happen at least twice.

You're watching a movie on youtube, you rewind the movie a bit, and the sound goes out. Meanwhile the sound works fine on everything else. The sound doesn't work on youtube again until you close and restart the x session.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
12-Mar-2007, 04:14 AM #3
I use Linux once in a while (Damn Small Linux). It has Flash Player 7 and it plays just about everything, including youtube audio. And the video rewind function does not lose sound. (I tested by rewinding "Patches the Horse" on both Google Video and Youtube. Everything works in both Linux and 98SE.)

Also, I noticed that the necessary 8-digit folder is automatically created on my ramdrive in Linux when I access the youtube site. If that folder is not there when the clip starts playing, then there will be no youtube audio.

The mystery is why the Flash Player scripting is not automatically creating that 8-dgit folder when I am in Windows. The Adobe flash player installers that I have tried will not create this necessary folder.

Fortunately, I can create the folder manually to cure the problem.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!