Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Multimedia Multimedia
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

BIG TIME Buffering Problem!

(!)

Member with 273 posts.

Experience: 30 yr. beginner
18-May-2007, 08:43 PM #1
BIG TIME Buffering Problem!
Hi:
Have checked all the other posts and don't see this exact problem. When I go to YouTube or any other site that has streaming video, the buffering is so intrusive that I must give up. Tonight, it was 2-3 seconds (!!) on YouTube. Usually, on CNN or Fox it's 10-20 seconds. VERY frustrating.
My OS is Xp Sp2, Toshiba Satellite 5005-S504. Replaced both HD and CD/DVD within the last 18 mos but had these same problems before. Don't run movies because they are impossible!!! But, being in Panama and largely away from US news sources except for the internet, I do look at a lot of news sites and, increasingly, stories refer me to video. I also listen to online radio and sometimes have buffering issues there.
Would GREATLY appreciate any help with this problem.
Many thanks,
Panama Hat
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

19-May-2007, 01:21 PM #2
Sounds like you're having Internet throughput issues. How about visiting www.speakeasy.net/speedtest and running a speed test from the closest site to your location and posting the results here.
Member with 273 posts.

19-May-2007, 01:59 PM #3
Thanks, I'll do it and post back.
PH
Member with 273 posts.

19-May-2007, 02:10 PM #4
Hi again, it's 202 kbps download and 150 kbps upload from Atlanta and 199 download and 237 upload from Dallas. However, I'm not sure how reliable those numbers are because I'm in Panama, which is pretty far away from both.
However, if they tell you something about the problems I'm having, I'd appreciate the information.
Incidentally, I'm contracted for 256 K on a satellite system
Thanks!
PH
Computer Specs
Member with 4,469 posts.

Experience: Getting it
21-May-2007, 11:23 AM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by panamahat
Hi again, it's 202 kbps download and 150 kbps upload from Atlanta and 199 download and 237 upload from Dallas. However, I'm not sure how reliable those numbers are because I'm in Panama, which is pretty far away from both.
However, if they tell you something about the problems I'm having, I'd appreciate the information.
Thanks!
PH
Don't play the video until it is downloaded. Hit "pause", wait until progress bar gets to or near end then hit "play."
I could be mistaken (been a while since I have watched any), but I believe most streaming video requires 300Kb/s if it does not give an option for selecting speed.
Member with 305 posts.

Experience: between intermediate and advanced
28-May-2007, 04:41 PM #6
I have the same problem, but I hate hitting the pause button.
Computer Specs
Member with 4,469 posts.

28-May-2007, 10:49 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spop
I have the same problem, but I hate hitting the pause button.
Get broadband then.
lisakmusco has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 585 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
19-Jul-2007, 12:50 PM #8
I have the similar issues too. If I try to watch even a 30-second video clip (for example on youtube or even a movie trailer like Harry Potter, or even a sports/news clip) it buffers, plays, buffers, plays etc multiple times in the span of that 30 seconds. I have been wondering if it's my computer or my level of DSL connection (BellSouth DSL Lite).
What can I do to improve this performance?
Member with 273 posts.

19-Jul-2007, 07:44 PM #9
Actually, RootbeaR's solution has been the best so far. I open the video in one window and let it take all the time it neds while I work in another window. Then, when I go back and look at it, it's usually fine. Thanks RootbeaR.
PH
Computer Specs
Member with 4,469 posts.

28-Jul-2007, 12:53 PM #10
Glad it is working for you. Enjoy.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

28-Jul-2007, 04:17 PM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by panamahat
Thanks!
PH
You have two strikes, one being the speed of the connections, the other being the latency of replies due to the satellite link. I think the solution of buffering it all before playing is probably the best way.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!