Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Multimedia Multimedia
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

which connectors for VCR to computer?

(!)

Member with 91 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
05-Sep-2007, 02:14 PM #1
which connectors for VCR to computer?
Yet another person trying to get VHS footage onto the computer. I have an HP m7750n computer & a Toshiba VCR/ DVD player combo model SD-V383SC. Both have a ton of connectors & I'm not sure which to use. The computer has a Hauppauge TV tuner/video capture card. I'm using Vista Home Premium. Not sure what other info anyone needs to answer me? I'd like to get rid of the VHS tapes, since they are going the way of the dodo bird. I don't want to lose precious footage of family memories, such as relatives who have passed away, weddings, tiny babies who are all grown up now etc. I'm sure I have everything I need here at hand, but the actual "doing" is what I'm confused about. Component, s-video, RCA, blah blah blah. Can anyone help?
Computer Specs
Member with 6,928 posts.

Experience: Advanced
05-Sep-2007, 02:26 PM #2
What's the model number of the Hauppauge card and what inputs does it have?

Is the VCR output the Yellow-Red-White RCA plugs?
Member with 91 posts.

06-Sep-2007, 12:59 PM #3
VCR has the red, yellow & white, plus s-video & component I think. Green & blue anyway. The Hauppauge card is a WinTV HVR-1600 NTSC/ATSC combo, model 1101. Here's the link. http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/produ...a_hvr1600.html it's the 2nd one down.
The front of the computer also has s-video & the red, yellow & white.
Computer Specs
Member with 6,928 posts.

06-Sep-2007, 02:03 PM #4
OK, it should be pretty easy. You need a regular audio-video cable with the Yellow-Red-White RCA plugs on both ends. Hook one end into the back of the DVD/VCR player where it says DVD/VCR out and put the Red and White plugs into the Red and White sockets on the TV card.

Then you have to plug the Yellow RCA into the S-Video on the TV card, so you'll need something like a female yellow RCA to S-video connector. You might have gotten a male yellow RCA to S-Video connector with the TV card, so then you'll need a barrel connector to connect it to the plug from the VCR.

Then in the WinTV program set up a new channel that has S-Video/Composite as the input source and give it an unused channel number. I get 73 regular channels so I assigned my VCR to channel 80. Tune to that channel and fire up the VCR to see how it works.
Member with 91 posts.

07-Sep-2007, 01:31 AM #5
I don't have WinTV. I didn't get any software or a remote or anything since the card was factory installed. I've been using the HP remote that came with the computer to watch & record TV thru the Windows media center. But I'll start with using the cables you said & go from there.
Member with 91 posts.

07-Sep-2007, 01:48 PM #6
OK, hooked everything up like you said. But without WinTV, I'm stuck. Tried to import with Windows Movie maker, but it looks like it doesn't support analogue sources according to the help & support section.
The easy way out would be to go get a combo DVD recorder/VCR but I know I already have what I need & don't want to lay out any more money.
Computer Specs
Member with 6,928 posts.

07-Sep-2007, 02:31 PM #7
I've heard other people say the same thing, Window Movie Maker doesn't seem to work very well with TV cards.

I would try installing WinTV which you can get here: http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/suppo...t_hvr1600.html

You can also get drivers and other software at that site. It looks for your card you should use WinTV version 6.
Member with 91 posts.

07-Sep-2007, 02:55 PM #8
Got the same suggestion on another message board. Also read somewhere that HP didn't include any software for the TV tuner card with this particular model of PC. So I'll give it a try & hope for the best. Fingers crossed, toes crossed.........
Member with 91 posts.

07-Sep-2007, 03:02 PM #9
I forgot to ask. Which download do I want? The cards product code is 74551.
Computer Specs
Member with 6,928 posts.

07-Sep-2007, 03:46 PM #10
The second one down under the heading WinTV version 6 application. If you can't get that one to work try WinTV2000 application.

You might also want to get the WinTV-Scheduler which allows you to setup timed recordings.
Member with 91 posts.

07-Sep-2007, 03:56 PM #11
Neither one works. Installed it OK but got the same error message with both. HCWUTL32.dll was not found. Any other ideas?
Computer Specs
Member with 6,928 posts.

07-Sep-2007, 04:13 PM #12
Note: the operation of WinTV-HVR-1600 requires two pieces: a WinTV driver and WinTV applications. We recommend you update both the driver and the application at the same time.

So it looks like you need the first download 'Installation CD Version 3.4D with WinTV version 6 and QAM support for WinTV-HVR-1600 product codes 74021 and 74041'

It says it includes support for WinTV-HVR-1600 models 74021 and 74041, but the software is needed for all WinTV-HVR-1600.
Member with 91 posts.

07-Sep-2007, 08:15 PM #13
Yay!!! I seem to be getting somewhere! Got the WinTV installed & the cables hooked up & managed to get my VCR to show up on the computer. Just black & white, but I'll figure that part out later. Now to see how the WinTV stuff works. I have WinTV & WinTV2000 both installed by the looks of it. You just can't run them both at the same time.
I'm by no means done but it's a start. I'll look at the help menu & see what gives.
Member with 91 posts.

10-Sep-2007, 01:59 PM #14
What a headache that turned out to be! I ended up with a bundle of software I didn't want. 3 versions of WinTV, some Nano editor etc. None of the help menus would launch without an error message. I managed to record a 2 hour VHS from 1991 onto the hard drive but when I recorded the next tape, the first one got overwritten because I didn't know you had to rename it. Two hours work down the crapper! I found all the WinTV apps confusing without the help menus available. So, as cheap as I am, I'm going to get a DVD recorder/VHS combo & be done with it. Thanks for all your help. I appreciate it. I may try again in the future but for now, I admit defeat.
Member with 91 posts.

11-Sep-2007, 10:58 PM #15
OK, I bought a DVD recorder/VCR combo & got an old tape burned to DVD. I think this is off the original topic, but how the heck to I copy the DVD to the computer to edit it? What section should I post this in? I'd like to get all my footage onto the hard drive so I can condense it down to a disc or two. I have Vista home premium.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!