Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Multimedia Multimedia
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

File type .COS2 ?

(!)

Member with 190 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
05-Dec-2007, 08:18 PM #1
Question File type .COS2 ?
Does anyone have a clue about .COS2 files that appear mysteriously?
Each file is 7KB in size.
Each has a file name matching a valid file name which exists in the same folder.
The valid files are all .wma or .wmv files.

Does anyone know what is generating these files, and for what purpose?

Should I just delete them?

Thanks,
OldJoe
Account Disabled with 1,098 posts.

Experience: Advanced
05-Dec-2007, 08:32 PM #2
Google 'cos2 file extension'. It appears to be some Java cryptography stuff which I'm guessing is tied in with DRM. (I tried to read thru the document google linked too but frankly, I got lost. I'm not that good with cryptography.)

If you want to, delete one from an unimportant file & see if it still plays-then see if it re-created it when it played. It might be a digital signature, or it might be a license key, or it might be something else.
Member with 190 posts.

05-Dec-2007, 09:41 PM #3
Calvin.

Thanks for the reply. I accept the JAVA explanation, but I fail to see how JAVA got involved with these media files. I deleted one as you suggested, and the associated wma file played fine without it (using Windows Media Player 9.0), and the cos2 file was not regenerated. I'm still scratching my head... I will try other players too...
(Such as Nero and Pinnacle which I had been using with these media files)

OldJoe

Last edited by oldjoe; 05-Dec-2007 at 09:49 PM..
Couriant   (James) Couriant is offline Couriant is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Trusted Advisor with 30,813 posts.

06-Dec-2007, 12:57 AM #4
Where are the COS2 files showing? I don't see a valid extension to COS2.
Member with 190 posts.

10-Dec-2007, 06:39 PM #5
Some added information:

Even after I have deleted these files, they get recreated the next time that I open the Pinnacle Studio 10.8 program that I use to edit movies.

I tried writing to Pinnacle about this, but the "contact us" part of their website is too complex for me to bother with...

While seemingly harmless, I would still like to stop this from happening.

Any tips ???

OldJoe
Couriant   (James) Couriant is offline Couriant is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Trusted Advisor with 30,813 posts.

10-Dec-2007, 09:07 PM #6
maybe it's their temp files... it's the only thing I can think of.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

11-Jan-2008, 04:51 PM #7
I have many WMV files from the same source, and only a few have these matching files. I may have used Pinnacle to edit these files, so I think Pinnacle generates them. Maybe some kind of meta-data or index files.

My WMV files are not protected. I don't think it has anything to do with that.

I deleted them and it didn't affect how they played.
Member with 190 posts.

11-Jan-2008, 05:59 PM #8
Tony,
Thanks for your input. I agree with your theory, but I would like to read Pinnacle's comments about this. If anyone has a contact, please ask them...

OldJoe
Junior Member with 4 posts.

21-Apr-2008, 12:48 PM #9
hi all I have cos2. files on my pc too and use pinnicle studio as well, and after reading this forum i sent pinnicle an email, i will let you know what happens, or doesn't, but i will try and get a difinitive answer for you.
Member with 190 posts.

21-Apr-2008, 01:16 PM #10
Thanks, Carl. Please let us know if you find an answer. I'm still curious. The files are small and seem to be harmless, so I've been ignoring them. Deleting them causes no problem either, but they reappear after some future use of Pinnacle...

OldJoe

21-Apr-2008, 04:40 PM #11
cos2
there is another train of thought here but it isn't connected in any way with Pinnicle.
The thought is, as they appear in album folders on my pc, and as you say they come back could they be something to do with internet album information, the files that make up track names in media player, this just a theory at the moment and when of if i actually pin it down i will let you know.

21-Apr-2008, 05:11 PM #12
cos2 answer
These files are as correctly stated automatically generated when you launch studio in Edit mode, studio picks up where it left off and the cos2 files are markers/backup files, so they will automaticaaly return each time you delete them if you are still working on that project.

I am getting them in the folders/albums of the music I am using, presumably once you have finnished the project and either written it to disc, or moved the file to another drive, it should stop happening for that film/project. you can then go around and tidy up so as to say

There isn't a cure as such yet! though pinnicle isn't doing anything wrong except being a little untidy

hope this helps

Carl
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!