Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Multimedia Multimedia
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

DVD Picture Interference

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
02-Jan-2008, 11:58 PM #1
DVD Picture Interference
I have a 15 year old 32" Magnavox color tv and just recently bought a Magnavox DVD player and because the tv set has only a coaxial program input, I also bought a Philips RF Modulator. I got everything set up and played a DVD and was disappointed that there was a very bad picture interference...horizontal bars came into the picture at the bottom and moved to the top, sort of like unfiltered electrical interference, really bad. Periodically, they would stop and move the opposite way. I took the Magnavox DVD player back and got a Philips DVD player and I get the same interference only not as bad and sometimes it goes completely away only to return later. I've tried more than one DVD on it so I don't think it has to do with regional coding. Could there be some interference filter that I need to plug into? I know we used to live close to a ham radio operator who caused the same symptoms when he transmitted. The cable programming picture is just fine. There is no converter box. The cable comes to the RF modulator ANT IN and a shorter piece of cable goes from the TO TV output to the coaxial input on the back of the television. I'm stumped. Is there someone out there who isn't?
Account Disabled with 5,251 posts.

Experience: Advanced
03-Jan-2008, 07:33 AM #2
Maybe it has something to do with the modulator, did you ever try connecting directly to the television? I was thinking that maybe the progressive output of the DVD player wasn't compatible with the possibly interlaced only TV but I don't think the DVD player puts out progressive signal on coaxial so I'm back to the RF modulator as my suspect from afar.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
03-Jan-2008, 02:43 PM #3
Thanks, Fairnooks. I don't know why I didn't think of testing the modulator on another set. I did and there were the floating bars as slick as you please. I'll be exchanging that one. Thanks again.
Stoopud
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!