Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Multimedia Multimedia
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

DVD-R not playing in my computer

(!)

Senior Member with 407 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
14-Jan-2008, 12:08 AM #1
DVD-R not playing in my computer
I burn dvds using my dvd burner which allows me to burn dvd-r's rw's cdrs' and do on. WHen i burn a dvd-r it plays the dvd on a regular dvd player but when i insert it into my computer it just freezes up and wont play. I contacted gateway as my computer is still under warranty and they stated i need to get a dvd decoder that is compatible and they suggested i go to windows vista website and find out whats compatible. I have no idea what a decoder is and i dont know which one i should get anyways. I am running windows vista home premium. I have VLC, Nero, windows media player, and DIVX, and none will play this or any dvd-r. Can you point me in the direction of what to do or what to download?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
14-Jan-2008, 12:42 AM #2
DVD decoders are for sale on many sites, and it really makes no difference which one you get so long as it is compatible with Vista. But they cost almost as much as a full DVD playing program, like PowerDVD, so you may as well get one of those. Most people do that as a way of getting the codec.

Usually, VLC will play most of them. Try updating it if you don't have the new one.
Member with 8,250 posts.

Experience: Advanced
14-Jan-2008, 12:43 AM #3
Decoder or codec?

Vista is supposed to have all the codecs needed.

Are you using the same drive to burn DVD-Rs and play DVD-Rs?

Which brand DVD - R disk? Have you tried a different brand?

Which DVD burner did Gateway install for you? Not all brands of devices work with all brands of DVD - R disks.

Have you tried DVD + R disks?

From http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=...iscqry=&fr=sfp, I found links to
1. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...r/plugins.aspx , which discusses decoders and

2. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306331 gave me a link to http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...ba9291033.mspx
which discusses codecs .

RF123
Computer Specs

14-Jan-2008, 01:11 AM #4
Have you installed any codec packs by any chance?

14-Jan-2008, 02:04 AM #5
i have a AC3 doced i believe. I had to install it before. I burn the dvd-r's on my computer and its a laptop so there is only one drive. I am using magnavox dvd-r's, and i havent tried a differnet brand and dont plan on it for a while as im on a tight budget and i bought a pack of 100 a while back and still have like 90 left. My computer is compatible to read dvd-r's so i dont really know whats the issue. Im going to try that software you suggested Elvandil, and BTW you had suggested to me that SP1 for vista was coming out, it is here yet?
Computer Specs

14-Jan-2008, 02:10 AM #6
There's a "release candidate" out. It is probably not too different from what the final one will be like, but I'd still wait for the final version if I were you.

14-Jan-2008, 02:16 AM #7
DO they know when the final version is out? And i just purchased the powerdvd so i am going to install it and report back with what happens

14-Jan-2008, 02:44 AM #8
Should i tell my computer to open the dvd with powerdvd? if so can you tell me how?

14-Jan-2008, 02:53 AM #9
Ok i just paid almost a hundred dollars for this software on my credit card, when I'm beginning to think i shouldnt have. When i insert the dvd into my drive my mouse starts to blink with a little disc next to it and then it sounds like the dvd is going to run then it stops and i cant do anything on my computer until i eject the disc. I even left it in there for a little while to see if it would play and nothing.....I'm beginning to think its a lost cause.
Member with 8,250 posts.

14-Jan-2008, 03:45 AM #10
Has this computer EVER been able to read the Magnavox -R DVDs? Not all DVD - R disks brands / models will play in all DVD burners / players.

Will the drive play / read CDs?

RF123

14-Jan-2008, 04:50 AM #11
it will read cd's and quite honestly ive never even tried to have it read different dvd-r's. I dont understand the reaosn behind only reading certain dvd-r's. I mean how much can they be different especially when its just a name?
Member with 8,250 posts.

14-Jan-2008, 05:14 AM #12
"I mean how much can they be different especially when its just a name?"
Unfortunately, there are differences greater than the name, Cecilep61280.

http://www.osta.org/technology/dvdqa/dvdqa5.htm

http://www.specialty-video.com/DVD_Compatibility.htm
"If you insert our DVD into your DVD player and you get a disk error, poor audio, or the video jumps or freezes, your player may not support the DVD-R format. Please check the owner’s manual for supported formats."

This tool may assist you.
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers

Best of success.

RF123
Account Disabled with 1,098 posts.

14-Jan-2008, 05:59 PM #13
Y'know, the thing that puzzles me is that he burns them, apparently successfully, on the same drive that freezes when he tries to read them. I'd think the burner would try to verify that it burned successfully, which would mean it could read the disk at that time-so why can't it read it later? I'd be more suspicious of Windows 'autorun' or whatever it's called that pops up that little menu of choices when you insert a disk.

Do pre-recorded DVD's play successfully?
Computer Specs
Registered User with 112 posts.

14-Jan-2008, 09:24 PM #14
Just because the burner burns the data and verifies it does not mean (if this is a video) that the video player has the correct codec to play the video.

Try the following:
1. Burn just data, like your "My Documents" folder and see if it reads the data ok.
2. Use Nero and create a disk image from the project instead of burning it and then try to play the video. All you have to do is point the player to the disk image on your hard drive.

If 1 works and 2 does not work, then you have an issue reading the video format and not the burner or the "-R" media.
If this is the case then what ever you are using to encode the video should be able to tell you what codec it is using.
Reply to this and we can go from there....
Account Disabled with 1,098 posts.

15-Jan-2008, 02:17 PM #15
You're right. I was making the unwarranted assumption that he was creating the video whereas all he actually said was he was creating the DVD.

But I still think it's strange that it freezes when he inserts the DVD. Codec shouldn't be involved at that point-unless maybe it's set up for autoplay?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!