Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Multimedia Multimedia
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: iTunes Account ID Unauthorized

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 37 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
22-Jan-2008, 02:13 PM #1
Solved: iTunes Account ID Unauthorized
I have a slight problem with my Apple ID and purchased music. Back in the day, I created an Apple account using my email address as the ID and bought some music for iTunes. I recently changed my Apple account to reflect a new email address.

Now I am getting a message saying that I am not authorized to play this music. iTunes prompts you to authorize each track, but my current ID can't do that. If I right-click one of the songs, it tells me the account ID used to purchase the music (my old email address). When I try to authorize the songs using my old ID, it tells me this account is not valid.

Is all purchased music tied to your Apple ID? Is there a way to authorize these songs to my current Apple account? With the way email addresses change, I can't believe Apple would configure iTunes/iStore this way.

I've seen plenty of posts about authorizing different computers, but that isn't my problem.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Couriant   (James) Couriant is offline Couriant is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Trusted Advisor with 30,920 posts.

22-Jan-2008, 03:22 PM #2
The songs are linked to your id and or computer. your email address change should not have affected it, unless you missed some step in the process, like an email confirmation with a link (i don't know, just guessing)
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

10-Mar-2008, 05:19 AM #3
i have the same problem!
hey!
i know exactly what you mean and i have the same problem. my friend changed his email address and not i am not able to access his music even though after i authorise it with the new email address and it tells me i am authorised, when i click on the song to play it i am not able to and it brings me back to entering the email address and password! this is so annoying and i was wondering if you have been able to access your music?

thanks for your help!
Computer Specs
Member with 37 posts.

10-Mar-2008, 10:15 AM #4
Yes, this problem has been resolved and I forgot to update my earlier post. Sorry, but I wasn't sure if my "work around" would solve anyone else's problems. Here is the stupid (and I mean stupid) resolution:

All I did was change the USB port that my iPod was plugged into for syncronizing. It doesn't make any sense to me, but it might have something to do with my USB security or something. Is their a relationship between my iPod and iTunes that needs to be met before purchased songs are played with iTunes? I don't have a friggin clue...

For those that want the paraphrased version of my issue:
1. Could not play purchased songs via iTunes or on my iPod (read previous post about authorizing)
2. Switched USB port for iPod, iTunes recognized, and reauthorized computer
3. Purchased songs were then accessible

Sorry, but I don't know exactly why it works. Hope it helps.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!