Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Directv DVR

(!)

Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
23-Feb-2008, 06:50 PM #1
Directv DVR
I have Windows XP Media Edition. I can't figure out how to get recordings from my Directv DVRs to my laptop. I have several DVR's that I'm trying to get these recordings from. Some are Tivo and one is the HD DVR. Does anyone know how to transfer these shows? Also, I do have the new On Demand service w/ Directv through their Ethernet Adapter Devices (powerline). It says they're using my home network, but I can't seem to access it through my laptop. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Member with 55 posts.

Experience: I Can Follow Directions
24-Feb-2008, 11:22 PM #2
Heya,
My father recently built a PC for multi-media use to go along with a 'theater' setup he paid however many thousands for. He, unfortunately, did not have the forsight to deal with problems such as this one. It is such a tough problem to get arround because of the efforts being made by hardware producers to more functional hardware and not aid those likely to copy and then redistribute copywrited material.

I have read that it may be possible to remove the HDD from the recorders and then transfer the data, but I have also read that the data on said HDDs are generally encrypted. This would make data transfer impossible without some type of converter either built into the DVR or external (probably have to buy it seperately if it's even available) and would also, most likely, void any warranties or agreements you may have for the DVRs, whether they are yours or rented from a cable/satelite company.

The only sure-fire method that I know of, at the moment, to retrieve all the data from the DVRs is, in your case, with an external video receiver. Transferring in this manner is mindnumbingly slow seeing as how you must play each recorded program individually and at regular speed and record the feed simultaneously, but it does work.

I did find these links when looking for an answer on my own. They're kind of old, but may help you out.
eCoustics.com
AV Science Forum
If you find your solution, please post back with it, thanks!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!