Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Multimedia Multimedia
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

DVD drive reads DVDs but not CDs

(!)

Member with 118 posts.

04-Mar-2008, 12:45 AM #1
DVD drive reads DVDs but not CDs
Hi I just got a new Acer Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40GHz Media Center Computer (AM5630-E5300A). The DVD burner works fine with DVDs but it doesnt respond to any audio or software CDs. There is no error message at all and the computer does not hang. Anything I can do to fix this problem? According to the spec the optical drive is 16X DVD+/-RW. I dont know the model of the DVD burner. Thanks for help.
Member with 118 posts.

04-Mar-2008, 07:00 PM #2
Hi I'd like to provide more info for diagnosis.

1. The contents of the CD do not appear in Windows Explorer.

2. It looks to me that the computer keeps scanning the CD forever. It does not hang as I can eject the CD or switch to other windows. It just does not respond to the CD.

3.I have no problems with DVDs.

Thanks for help.
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 46,780 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
05-Mar-2008, 11:08 AM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjorieng View Post
Hi I just got a new Acer Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40GHz Media Center Computer (AM5630-E5300A).
You could have gotten a new computer with a bad optical drive. There are separate laser pickup assemblies for DVDs and CDs inside the drive and the CD section could be bad. Any chance you can take the computer back to the store for an exchange?
Member with 118 posts.

05-Mar-2008, 01:29 PM #4
I got it at Futureshop 10 days ago. I wonder if they can only change the optical drive for me. They said that I have to return everything to factory state if I want to return it.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
05-Mar-2008, 01:49 PM #5
I have had this happen to a couple LiteOn drives and I can tell you that nothing, cross-flashing, reprogramming, or even moving it to a different machine, will restore that ability. The drive should be replaced before you go insane like I did trying to fix it.
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs

05-Mar-2008, 03:24 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjorieng View Post
I got it at Futureshop 10 days ago. I wonder if they can only change the optical drive for me. They said that I have to return everything to factory state if I want to return it.
Looks like they allow you 14 days on computer returns.You may need to decide pretty quick if you want to return it for replacement or refund.
http://www.futureshop.ca/information...=&langid=EN#02

You would need to ask them about getting the computer repaired vs. just replacing the entire computer. They may not have a replacement drive available or they may not want to deal with Acer for an in warranty repair.

Check the owner's manual for the computer. There may be factory recovery software on the hard drive to return the computer to fresh from the factory state. You will loose any saved documents and installed programs.
Member with 118 posts.

05-Mar-2008, 05:13 PM #7
Thanks for all your advise. Is it due to a defective DVD burner or other hardware problem? Can I just buy a new DVD burner and replace it? The 14-day return period has just passed and the computer did not come with user manual or recovery software on the hard drive. I dont want to go through the hassle of replacing a desktop anyway. I am not a gamer. All I want is playing aduio CDs while working on the computer. Sometimes I may need to burn a few CDs. Is replacing the DVD burner the most convenient and easy way to fix the problem? Thanks for help.
Computer Specs

05-Mar-2008, 05:41 PM #8
Found your computer listed here:
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...55&catid=10607

As you had mentioned, the optical drive is listed as "16X DVD+/-RW". I am almost ready to believe that it may be DVD drive only but find it difficult to believe that any computer sold with an optical drive these days would not have a combination DVD/CD burner.

In any case, you should be able to replace the existing optical drive with a drive that can both read and burn DVDs and CDs. Such a replacement drive would probably not have the curved front to match the current drive. You need to confirm if the current optical drive has the older and still fairly common IDE/ATA interface or the newer Serial-ATA (SATA) interface. If the computer has a free external 5.25 inch expansion bay you may be able to add a new optical drive while keeping the old one.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,237 posts.

05-Mar-2008, 05:49 PM #9
why not visit futureshop's website & ask ur ?'s in their forums? i'm sure someone might have a good answer
Member with 118 posts.

07-Mar-2008, 04:02 AM #10
i've already posted question on futureshop's website and sent email to Acer but no response yet. the optical drive of my computer is a Super-Multi drive. does it mean that it should read and burn both cds and dvds? sorry i dont know much about computer and that's why i would rather buy a new dvd burner if it will fix the problem. it's easier to have a friend to install the dvd burner for me. i totally have no idea how to restore the computer to its factory state.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,237 posts.

07-Mar-2008, 08:07 PM #11
i think ur drive is 4 dvd only. buy a new combo & install, they're not expensive
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!