Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Multimedia Multimedia
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

All Media Audio too fast

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: software tweaker, hardware ignorant
29-Mar-2008, 11:57 PM #1
All Media Audio too fast
as the topic implies, all my media audio is too fast.
Its too fast to the point that it won't play.

watching the timer tick by, Its about 1.5-3 seconds worth per second. and its, as far as i can tell, not stable.

iTunes, WMP, Real (havnt tried quicktime) ALL have both video and audio sped up.

VLC Media Player has Normal Video and Speed with no sound.

In all cases, there is no sound.
No games have any sound either.
I first noticed the problem playing Counter Strike Source and noticed no sounds.

Thinking back, prior to my noticing it, the only things i've used have been...

(in receding order)

CounterStrike: Source (STEAM) (confirmed stopped working here)
Steam (Updated)
Steam
(I think there was a windows automatic update here....)
Yahoo Instant Messenger
Picture Upload from Digital Camera. - Had some iffy hardware issues concerning my card readers (built into PC) ended up working in the end though.
Yahoo Instant Messenger
iTunes + playlist (i'm fairly certain it was working here...)
Absolute Poker
VLC Media Player + anime (this definitely was working)

any ideas?
Before it stopped, I was using SndTDriverV32 Wave as my default Sound Playback device

several months ago, I had an issue regarding Sound Blaster Live! 24. but no longer have the installation disk >_>

Windows XP
Dell Dimension 9100

2.50 Gigs of Ram

3.00 (2.99) GHz

Not sure what else i can say to help.

Last edited by B9Angelus; 30-Mar-2008 at 12:12 AM..
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,756 posts.

Experience: IT Professional
30-Mar-2008, 04:57 AM #2
Sounds like you just need to reinstall your soundcard drivers, you can download the Soundblaster Live 24bit drivers here: http://ccfiles.creative.com/manualdn..._1_04_0077.exe
Computer Specs

30-Mar-2008, 12:50 PM #3
alas... the problem with drivers is that you need to have it installed... i have no idea what happened, but i dont have sound blaster live any more, period. i've tried updating it before. but the self extracting update patcher simply wont work because it cant find a related product thats installed. T_T

any other ideas?

it was working fine without soundblaster live 24 >_>
Computer Specs

30-Mar-2008, 03:12 PM #4
actually. I think i found a work around for it, and not entirely sure how. but since this might or might not answer some questions for future similar problems, I'll post what I did.

Since I knew for a fact my sound card was SoundBlaster Live... it just bugged me why I didn't have it in the first place. I should. It just simply vanished one day. and I never noticed it. the computer just switched to another default device and it's been working fine since.

So I Opened my case, looked for the hardware where the speakers would connect to the output, and poked around. (in hind sight, I probably should've turned off the power doing so) All I did was poke around. It was solidly inserted.. I couldn't move the sound card at all. I then traced the wiring from the sound card to whatever I could see connected. just lightly touching it all.

restarted.

my next step was to try and use the Device Manager and update drivers under Sounds... and low and behold. There be Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit.

I have no idea what I did, but i believe it was probably wiring.

I set the default device to SB Live, and updated the driver, as well as everything else that the driver update would reinstall i reinstalled.

and now the sound problem has been fixed.

I did not check to see if the problem would be fixed without updating Sound Blaster Live.
The old sound options (like SndTDriverV32 Wave) still do not work, so the other updates that came along with the SB Live update didn't help. Like Media Controller drivers, or other stuff. can't remember.

oh well. My problem has been solved (not sure if permanent or temporary) using SB Live
though other sound options are still screwed up, when they weren't before, so it hasn't been 'fixed'
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 27 posts.

Experience: noobsauce greenhorn crumble cake
03-Apr-2008, 10:36 PM #5
it seems to me the problem is that you were playing counter strike.
Computer Specs

04-Apr-2008, 12:46 PM #6
it could've been anything really.

Yahoo's always given me problems with random shutdowns and crashes.

my memory stick reader in my computer took like 30 insertions to read the pictures on my memory stick.
Each time I put the memory card in, all 4 'card slots' would bleep in and out. being detected and listed in my computer 1 second, gone the next. over and over. being literally impossible to read anything even if it was detected. a true hardware malfunction i suppose. it was almost like putting the card in short circuited something repeatedly.

if anything hardware related screwed things up, it was that.

if it was software, it could've been anything from yahoo, windows update, or steam.
seeing as I was probably the only one with sound issues on Steam, i don't think it was that.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!