Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Multimedia Multimedia
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Itunes can't find my songs - HELP!

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
07-May-2008, 10:59 AM #1
Question Solved: Itunes can't find my songs - HELP!
My old laptop crashed. I have a new Dell, running XP. I have my songs in the default library location My Documents/My Music/Itunes/Itunes Music. When I open my music library on itunes, I see my songs. Many of them have an explanation point in the leftmost column. When I double-click on a song to play it, I receive a message: The song _____ cannot be played because the original file could not be found. Would you like to locate it?

I say "yes," then I find it in the appropriate folder (My Documents/My Music, etc). and it will play. I have verified that on my edit-preferences-advanced file location is correct (My Documents/My Music/Itunes/etc.)

Please help. The music is all there (infact the are many duplicates, but that's a question for another thread), and I can play it when I click on the file. I just don't know why iTunes is not finding it.
CDATech CDATech is offline CDATech has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 492 posts.

Experience: Knower Of Nothing
07-May-2008, 11:57 AM #2
I would clear the entire itunes library and recreate your library. This will NOT delete the actual files but instead just recreate the iTunes index of the files. Try it. Just select all the songs and press the delete key. If it asks you if you want to keep the files make sure you select that option. Then go to File and I believe it's called "Add new Directory" and add the directory you mentioned.
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
07-May-2008, 12:25 PM #3
THANK YOU. That seems to have done the trick. Since we're on a roll, could you suggest how I might get rid of all the duplicates in my library?
Computer Specs
Member with 5,037 posts.

Experience: I get by
07-May-2008, 01:44 PM #4
you'll probably have to delete the dupes from the music folder manually (which could give you that same not found issue again if you delete any that iTunes is pointing to)

to keep it from duplicating files again go to
> edit > preferences >advanced >general tab
look for a boxes labeled "keep iTunes folder organized ..." and "copy files to iTunes... ", theres probably checks beside them... remove the checks so the boxes are empty then click ok

Attached Thumbnails
Solved: Itunes can't find my songs - HELP!-itunes008.jpg  
sup2a has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,351 posts.

Experience: Intermediate-Advanced
08-May-2008, 02:51 AM #5
the thing with itunes is, if you rename a folder or move it, it will not find it... don't know why... but i had the same problem and it took me hours to import all my songs again (it also sync'd my ipod with no songs so i had to put them on all again)
CDATech CDATech is offline CDATech has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 492 posts.

Experience: Knower Of Nothing
08-May-2008, 06:20 PM #6
Those are the straightest arrows I have EVER seen!!

/sarcasm
Couriant   (James) Couriant is offline Couriant is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Trusted Advisor with 30,568 posts.

08-May-2008, 10:50 PM #7
I think the dupes happened because it found your original iTunes database from the old machine that contains the list of songs.

I get it all the time.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
itunes

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!